Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to specify a range from arbitrary cell and to "end of worksheet"

Hello,

I would like some help with efficiently counting cells in a worksheet
where neither the location of the last row or the last column are
known.

I have a worksheet where data is arranged in columns of various
lengths. Data begins in column B, and the first three rows of the
worksheet are not to be counted.

So, column B might have entries from B4 to B10 that I need to count,
while column C has entries from C4 to C25, and D has entries from D4
to D7 - very short.

Data is not all numerical.
I am guaranteed to have adjacent columns (i.e. first blank column
signals the end of data)
I am guaranteed to have adjacent data in each column (i.e. there is no
data below a blank cell)

My current formula is this:
=COUNTA(4:10000)-COUNTA(A4:A10000)

It counts the data in all rows starting with 4, and then subtracts
column A, which is not to be counted.

I would LIKE my formula to look like this:
=COUNTA(B4:last_cell)

It doesn't matter if last_cell is not exact. I know CTRL-END takes me
to the last cell of a spreadsheet (or whatever Excel thinks is the
last cell). Is there a way to reference THAT CELL that I'm taken to
when I hit CTRL-END?

Thanks,

Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to specify a range from arbitrary cell and to "end of worksheet" or: How to refer to worksheet's "last cell" without VBA?

Why not just use this:

=COUNTA(B4:IV10000)

That's about as efficient as you're going to get!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to specify a range from arbitrary cell and to "end of

That's what I'm doing now... I think it's a little brittle to specify
an enclosed area like that and it doesn't look as "clean" to me as an
entire-row or entire-column reference. (i.e. A:A or 3:3)

So there is NO way to refer to the CTRL-END cell in a formula?

wrote in message

[...]

Alex- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So there is NO way to refer to the CTRL-END cell in a formula?

There is but it's nowhere near as efficient as what I suggested. In fact, it
would be very inefficient. Still interested?

Finding the last used column is easy *but* finding the last used row is more
difficult since the number of rows varies by column and this is where you
lose all efficiency.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Biff,

In the interest of conserving computer cycles, I will use your
solution. However, I am curious about how I could refer to the last
cell without using VBA.

Thanks for your help!

-Alex

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can find the last cell in the range using this array formula** :

=ADDRESS(MAX((B4:J15<"")*ROW(B4:J15)),MAX((B4:J15 <"")*COLUMN(B4:J15)))

You'll notice that I'm testing a relatively small range. This formula
returns the cell reference as a TEXT string. By itself, it can't be used as
a reference in a formula. You'd need to do it like this array formula** :

=COUNTA(INDIRECT("B4:"&ADDRESS(MAX((B4:J15<"")*RO W(B4:J15)),MAX((B4:J15<"")*COLUMN(B4:J15)))))

The bigger the range you need to include the more inefficient this is.

Another way without actually finding the reference for the last cell.
Another array formula** :

=COUNTA(OFFSET(B4,,,MAX(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B4:B15,, COLUMN(B4:J15)-COLUMN(B4),))),COUNTA(B4:J4)))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

You can tell just by looking at these formulas that they are nowhere near as
efficient as:

=COUNTA(B4:J15)

--
Biff