Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] derevin@gmail.com is offline

Default How to specify a range from arbitrary cell and to "end of worksheet"

Hello,

I would like some help with efficiently counting cells in a worksheet
where neither the location of the last row or the last column are
known.

I have a worksheet where data is arranged in columns of various
lengths. Data begins in column B, and the first three rows of the
worksheet are not to be counted.

So, column B might have entries from B4 to B10 that I need to count,
while column C has entries from C4 to C25, and D has entries from D4
to D7 - very short.

Data is not all numerical.
I am guaranteed to have adjacent columns (i.e. first blank column
signals the end of data)
I am guaranteed to have adjacent data in each column (i.e. there is no
data below a blank cell)

My current formula is this:
=COUNTA(4:10000)-COUNTA(A4:A10000)

It counts the data in all rows starting with 4, and then subtracts
column A, which is not to be counted.

I would LIKE my formula to look like this:
=COUNTA(B4:last_cell)

It doesn't matter if last_cell is not exact. I know CTRL-END takes me
to the last cell of a spreadsheet (or whatever Excel thinks is the
last cell). Is there a way to reference THAT CELL that I'm taken to
when I hit CTRL-END?

Thanks,

Alex