Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating customized hyperlinks to a site

I have a column of values that correspond to a ID.

I need to create a HYPERLINK in this cell that will take me to a specified
URL where the ID changes corresponding to the value in the cell.

8410495 Link
10681746 Link
10681746 Link
1682519 Link
1682519 Link

The generic link is
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Note the **** sign in the URL. I want this to be correspondingly replaced
with the ID in each cell.

I am trying to link these IDs to their respective public URLs in PUBMED.

--
Natarajan Ganesan, PhD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Natarajan,

Is the word "Link" included with the ID in each cell? I would strip out
"Link" and any leading/trailing spaces. Then you should be able to use the
HYPERLINK() function:

(I'm assuming that the data you listed in your original post starts in cell
A2)
Enter this formula in cell B2:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.ncbi/nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch="
& A2 & "&ordinalpos=1.............", "enter the text you want to display in
the cell here or use a cell reference without quotes")

Be sure to finish off the link after " & A2 & ". Also, don't copy & paste
my formula above. I typed it in as I was looking at your original
link.......it could have typos.

HTH,

Conan

"Natarajan" wrote in message
I have a column of values that correspond to a ID.

I need to create a HYPERLINK in this cell that will take me to a specified
URL where the ID changes corresponding to the value in the cell.

8410495 Link
10681746 Link
10681746 Link
1682519 Link
1682519 Link

The generic link is
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Note the **** sign in the URL. I want this to be correspondingly replaced
with the ID in each cell.

I am trying to link these IDs to their respective public URLs in PUBMED.

--
Natarajan Ganesan, PhD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Conan,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the word Link was to just refer to the cell
where I wold place the link. It could also be put back right over the cell
containing the number (most ideal).

However, I must say that I got an "invalid key" message when I tried syntax
you gave. I typed my own (rather I generated it after visiting a typical
pubmed link). I followed this byusing 'Insert' 'Function' command formmenu
and pasted the hyperlink. After this I tried to locate the place where you
suggested the change. It did not work.

If I may request would it be possible for you to generate template cell. I
would very very grateful.

Sincerely

Natarajan Ganesan, PhD
Email: firstnameNOSPACElastname to my gmail account.

--
Natarajan Ganesan

"Natarajan" wrote in message
I have a column of values that correspond to a ID.

I need to create a HYPERLINK in this cell that will take me to a specified
URL where the ID changes corresponding to the value in the cell.

8410495 Link
10681746 Link
10681746 Link
1682519 Link
1682519 Link

The generic link is
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Note the **** sign in the URL. I want this to be correspondingly replaced
with the ID in each cell.

I am trying to link these IDs to their respective public URLs in PUBMED.

--
Natarajan Ganesan, PhD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Natarajan,

I've come up with a test workbook that shows how this is done.

Do you have an email address that you would like me to send this to or would
you rather I attach it to a post?

You can send me your email address to "CTBarbarin at msn dot com"
(OR remove the "NOSPAM"s from my email address if you click reply)

If you post your email address, be sure to spell it out like I did above or
insert obvious words (ie. NOSPAM, BUCKETOFSPAM, DELETE, etc...) that need to
be removed from the address:
OSPAM

HTH,

Conan