Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing cell contents, know cell address

Here is my situation:

-A user enters one of any number in an input cell. Say for example he
enters 10.
-I need to look at cell B12 in this case (actually will always be "B" &
input_number +2, so if they enter 5, I need to look at B7).
-Now I need to look at the contents of this cell B12, which contains the
word "Jim" for example. I then need to compare cell B12 (or whatever cell,
as this will vary), to the next cell down, B13, see if B12=B13.

There may be an easy way to do this, but I can't get it to work. I tried
creating a variable, that took input_number and converted it to "B" & input
number +2. So now I have a varaible that = B12 (will vary based on their
input number). Then tried do =CELL("contents", variable) to pull out the
value of "Jim". Didn't work. I can't enter in B12 here, because that will
vary. Thought the dynamic variable would accomplish that, but doesn't seem
to work.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure what code you already have but this should show you enough to
understand:
myinput = InputBox("Pick A Number")
MsgBox Sheets(1).Range("B" & myinput + 2) = Sheets(1).Range("B" & myinput + 3)

i set myInput to the number they type in the input box, then i check to see
if on sheet 1 range (cell) B, the input number +2 = range B, and the input
number +3. In your example if they type 10 in the input box this will check
to see if B12=B13.
--
-John
is helpful.

"molsansk" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I apologize, i thought i was in the programming, i'll pay more attention :)
You want the Indirect function, in your case it will look like this, say
they enter 10 into cell A1
=INDIRECT("B" & A1+2)
If you put this in the cell where you want your answer you will get the
value in B12.
Going further,
=IF(INDIRECT("B" & A1+2)=INDIRECT("B" & A1+3),"Match","No Match")
this checks to see if what is in B12=B13, if so it returns "Match", if not,
"No Match".
I hope i have redeemed myself!
--
-John