Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Bundy John Bundy is offline

Default Comparing cell contents, know cell address

I apologize, i thought i was in the programming, i'll pay more attention :)
You want the Indirect function, in your case it will look like this, say
they enter 10 into cell A1
=INDIRECT("B" & A1+2)
If you put this in the cell where you want your answer you will get the
value in B12.
Going further,
=IF(INDIRECT("B" & A1+2)=INDIRECT("B" & A1+3),"Match","No Match")
this checks to see if what is in B12=B13, if so it returns "Match", if not,
"No Match".
I hope i have redeemed myself!
--
-John
is helpful.

"molsansk" wrote:

To clarify here, I am not using code. Just basic excel functions. They
input into a cell in the worksheet, and the variable I mention is just an
excel "name".

"John Bundy" wrote:

Not sure what code you already have but this should show you enough to
understand:
myinput = InputBox("Pick A Number")
MsgBox Sheets(1).Range("B" & myinput + 2) = Sheets(1).Range("B" & myinput + 3)

i set myInput to the number they type in the input box, then i check to see
if on sheet 1 range (cell) B, the input number +2 = range B, and the input
number +3. In your example if they type 10 in the input box this will check
to see if B12=B13.
--
-John
is helpful.

"molsansk" wrote:

Here is my situation:

-A user enters one of any number in an input cell. Say for example he
enters 10.
-I need to look at cell B12 in this case (actually will always be "B" &
input_number +2, so if they enter 5, I need to look at B7).
-Now I need to look at the contents of this cell B12, which contains the
word "Jim" for example. I then need to compare cell B12 (or whatever cell,
as this will vary), to the next cell down, B13, see if B12=B13.

There may be an easy way to do this, but I can't get it to work. I tried
creating a variable, that took input_number and converted it to "B" & input
number +2. So now I have a varaible that = B12 (will vary based on their
input number). Then tried do =CELL("contents", variable) to pull out the
value of "Jim". Didn't work. I can't enter in B12 here, because that will
vary. Thought the dynamic variable would accomplish that, but doesn't seem
to work.

Any help appreciated. Thanks