Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default In Excel, how do I seperate data that is imported into one column

When going online to import financial data I do a copy of all the data and
then a "Paste Special" "Text" and all the data comes in in one column and
seems de-limited by a space or tab. How do I sort so that data is in seperate
columns?

Paul M
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

YOu could click on DATA in the menu, select IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA and select
new WEB QUERY to bring the data into a workbook.

If you prefer the copy & paste method you can select your copied text, click
DATA on the menu and select TEXT TO COLUMNS to parse the data.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Pablo" wrote:

When going online to import financial data I do a copy of all the data and
then a "Paste Special" "Text" and all the data comes in in one column and
seems de-limited by a space or tab. How do I sort so that data is in seperate
columns?

Paul M

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Highlight the data then click on Data | Text-to-columns. This will
take you through 3 steps, where you can specify the delimiter, how to
treat each field of data, where to place the data once parsed etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete