Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DZ DZ is offline

Default Vlookup Argument ?

I'm trying to understand a VLookup function that was function created by an
unknown person.

That part that is confusing to me is the 2nd argument which is

'ALMOS XS'!G20714:'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150

for the table range. I undrstand that the part before the ! is the sheet
'ALMOS XS' and I also understand that the part the follows is the cell range
.. What is confusing is the there seems to be a range referred to as 'ALMOS
XS'!$A$1:$E$150, so what is the part before that ('ALMOS XS'!G20714) for.

Why is ( 'ALMOS XS'!G20714 ) in there when I already have a range referred
to as
'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150

I checked and ( 'ALMOS XS'!G20714) is not a named range

Thanks for any help

Angelo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Angelo,

Can you give the whole formula? Don't type it, copy it from the formula bar and paste it into your post

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"DZ" wrote in message ...
| I'm trying to understand a VLookup function that was function created by an
| unknown person.
|
| That part that is confusing to me is the 2nd argument which is
|
| 'ALMOS XS'!G20714:'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150
|
| for the table range. I undrstand that the part before the ! is the sheet
| 'ALMOS XS' and I also understand that the part the follows is the cell range
| . What is confusing is the there seems to be a range referred to as 'ALMOS
| XS'!$A$1:$E$150, so what is the part before that ('ALMOS XS'!G20714) for.
|
| Why is ( 'ALMOS XS'!G20714 ) in there when I already have a range referred
| to as
| 'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150
|
| I checked and ( 'ALMOS XS'!G20714) is not a named range
|
| Thanks for any help
|
| Angelo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the original writer of the formula just screwed up.

Try Edit|goto and paste in that range:
'ALMOS XS'!G20714:'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150

You'll see that A1:G20714 is selected.

So the question is what should it be replaced with:

'ALMOS XS'!$a$1:$G$20714
Or
'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150

DZ wrote:

I'm trying to understand a VLookup function that was function created by an
unknown person.

That part that is confusing to me is the 2nd argument which is

'ALMOS XS'!G20714:'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150

for the table range. I undrstand that the part before the ! is the sheet
'ALMOS XS' and I also understand that the part the follows is the cell range
. What is confusing is the there seems to be a range referred to as 'ALMOS
XS'!$A$1:$E$150, so what is the part before that ('ALMOS XS'!G20714) for.

Why is ( 'ALMOS XS'!G20714 ) in there when I already have a range referred
to as
'ALMOS XS'!$A$1:$E$150

I checked and ( 'ALMOS XS'!G20714) is not a named range

Thanks for any help

Angelo

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DZ DZ is offline

Default Here it is

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Z4,'ALMOS XS'!B25708:'ALMOS
XS'!$A$1:$E$150,3,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP(Z4,'ALMOS XS'!B25708:'ALMOS
XS'!$A$1:$E$150,3,FALSE))

I understand what this fomula is doing.

ISNA checks VLookup for the existance of a value and the If statement
displays 0 if no value exists otherwise it display the VLookup value. No
problem there.

I am just confused by argument 2 for the VLookup as i mentioned in my first
post.

Many thanks for any help.

DZ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think Dave's right. This makes no sense, although it's not flagged as an error

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"DZ" wrote in message ...

| =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Z4,'ALMOS XS'!B25708:'ALMOS
| XS'!$A$1:$E$150,3,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP(Z4,'ALMOS XS'!B25708:'ALMOS
| XS'!$A$1:$E$150,3,FALSE))
|
| I understand what this fomula is doing.
|
| ISNA checks VLookup for the existance of a value and the If statement
| displays 0 if no value exists otherwise it display the VLookup value. No
| problem there.
|
| I am just confused by argument 2 for the VLookup as i mentioned in my first
| post.
|
| Many thanks for any help.
|
| DZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DZ DZ is offline

Default The cell range is $A$1:$E$150

One thing I m pretty sure of is that the cell range is $A$1:$E$150 because
the last row on sheet ALMOS is row 150