Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening .xslx files

I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of months now and have not been able
to resolve an issue with the opening .xlsx files. The only way I can open
files in the new format (whether they are files I have created myself or
files that others have sent to me) is to first launch Excel 2007, then use
file/open and navigate to a location where I have stored the file. I cannot
open files by double-clicking or by using right-click/Open with.

I can open files in the old .XLS format by double-clicking them without any
trouble, and I can open new Word 2007 (.docx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) by
double-clicking, but not .xlsx files.

I've tried doing an Office 2007 reinstall/repair, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
--
Paul B
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a bug.

--
Jim
"PaulB" wrote in message
| I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of months now and have not been
able
| to resolve an issue with the opening .xlsx files. The only way I can open
| files in the new format (whether they are files I have created myself or
| files that others have sent to me) is to first launch Excel 2007, then use
| file/open and navigate to a location where I have stored the file. I
cannot
| open files by double-clicking or by using right-click/Open with.
|
| I can open files in the old .XLS format by double-clicking them without
any
| trouble, and I can open new Word 2007 (.docx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx)
by
| double-clicking, but not .xlsx files.
|
| I've tried doing an Office 2007 reinstall/repair, but to no avail.
|
| Any ideas?
| --
| Paul B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi PaulB,

To solve it, you just need to change the File Association in your Windows,
Try click in one of this files (*.xlsx) with the left botton in your mouse
and click in Property, in the first tab you can change the standard software
that open this kind of files....

"PaulB" escreveu:

I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of months now and have not been able
to resolve an issue with the opening .xlsx files. The only way I can open
files in the new format (whether they are files I have created myself or
files that others have sent to me) is to first launch Excel 2007, then use
file/open and navigate to a location where I have stored the file. I cannot
open files by double-clicking or by using right-click/Open with.

I can open files in the old .XLS format by double-clicking them without any
trouble, and I can open new Word 2007 (.docx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) by
double-clicking, but not .xlsx files.

I've tried doing an Office 2007 reinstall/repair, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
--
Paul B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim
Thanks Jim - suspect you're right about a bug, but the interesting thing is
I have three colleagues running Office 2007 on identical Sony Vaio laptops
and they don't have the same symptoms: Colleague 1 is running under Vista has
a similar problem but with .docx files rather than .xlsx; Colleague 2 also
running under Vista has no problem; Colleague 3 is running under XP has no
problem. In trying to find some rhyme or reason for this, the one thing I've
come up with is that Colleague 1 & I upgraded from an earlier version of
Office Professional, whereas Colleague 2 has (we think) a full version of
Office Professional 2007 rather the upgrade.

So, perhaps we're looking at a Vista/Office 2007 Upgrade bug ...

I'm looking now at uninstalling Office 2007 and reinstalling a full version
- will let you know if this works.
--
Paul B

"Jim Rech" wrote:

It's a bug.

--
Jim
"PaulB" wrote in message
| I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of months now and have not been
able
| to resolve an issue with the opening .xlsx files. The only way I can open
| files in the new format (whether they are files I have created myself or
| files that others have sent to me) is to first launch Excel 2007, then use
| file/open and navigate to a location where I have stored the file. I
cannot
| open files by double-clicking or by using right-click/Open with.
|
| I can open files in the old .XLS format by double-clicking them without
any
| trouble, and I can open new Word 2007 (.docx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx)
by
| double-clicking, but not .xlsx files.
|
| I've tried doing an Office 2007 reinstall/repair, but to no avail.
|
| Any ideas?
| --
| Paul B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Paulo - not it I'm afraid. I've told Windows (repeatedly!) to open
this type of file using Microsoft Excel 2007, and File Properties tells me it
got the message, but no go.
--
Paul B

"PaulB" escreveu:

I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of months now and have not been able
to resolve an issue with the opening .xlsx files. The only way I can open
files in the new format (whether they are files I have created myself or
files that others have sent to me) is to first launch Excel 2007, then use
file/open and navigate to a location where I have stored the file. I cannot
open files by double-clicking or by using right-click/Open with.

I can open files in the old .XLS format by double-clicking them without any
trouble, and I can open new Word 2007 (.docx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) by
double-clicking, but not .xlsx files.

I've tried doing an Office 2007 reinstall/repair, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
--
Paul B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So, perhaps we're looking at a Vista/Office 2007 Upgrade bug ...

No, it happens under Windows XP too. I had the problem and found a
'solution'. But when I suggested it to others here it did not help them.
So I've given up on a "one size fits all" answer and am hoping that SP1
fixes it (not that I expect it will).
--
Jim
"PaulB" wrote in message
| Jim
| Thanks Jim - suspect you're right about a bug, but the interesting thing
is
| I have three colleagues running Office 2007 on identical Sony Vaio laptops
| and they don't have the same symptoms: Colleague 1 is running under Vista
has
| a similar problem but with .docx files rather than .xlsx; Colleague 2 also
| running under Vista has no problem; Colleague 3 is running under XP has no
| problem. In trying to find some rhyme or reason for this, the one thing
I've
| come up with is that Colleague 1 & I upgraded from an earlier version of
| Office Professional, whereas Colleague 2 has (we think) a full version of
| Office Professional 2007 rather the upgrade.
|
| So, perhaps we're looking at a Vista/Office 2007 Upgrade bug ...
|
| I'm looking now at uninstalling Office 2007 and reinstalling a full
version
| - will let you know if this works.
| --
| Paul B
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| It's a bug.
|
| --
| Jim
| "PaulB" wrote in message
| | I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of months now and have not
been
| able
| | to resolve an issue with the opening .xlsx files. The only way I can
open
| | files in the new format (whether they are files I have created myself
or
| | files that others have sent to me) is to first launch Excel 2007, then
use
| | file/open and navigate to a location where I have stored the file. I
| cannot
| | open files by double-clicking or by using right-click/Open with.
| |