Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing a Defined Name

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help with this...

I've created a Name for a range of cells which I use in various formulas
elsewhere within my Workbook but I now want to change that Name - i.e.
instead of reading 'USDGBPROE2008' I want it to read 'USDGBPROE2007'
I don't want to change the cells it relates too or its use in the formulas.
I can't edit / replace as the formulas lose the link.
Is it possible just to change the name anywhere?

Thanks in advance
DB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dan Beard

Have you tried InsertNameDefineadd? Here you can delete the old and add
a new Named range.

Mike Rogers

"Dan Beard" wrote:

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help with this...

I've created a Name for a range of cells which I use in various formulas
elsewhere within my Workbook but I now want to change that Name - i.e.
instead of reading 'USDGBPROE2008' I want it to read 'USDGBPROE2007'
I don't want to change the cells it relates too or its use in the formulas.
I can't edit / replace as the formulas lose the link.
Is it possible just to change the name anywhere?

Thanks in advance
DB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add to Mike's response...

You can add the new name
Then change the all the formulas so that they point to the new name
(Don't forget any names that may point to that name, too. And don't forget any
charts that may use that name.)
Then delete the old name.

But be careful. I'm gonna guess that it'll be easy to screw up.

Since you're working with names, get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams
and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

You'll find it very valuable.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Easy to screw-up indeed - I've managed it several times whilst trying already!

Yes, I guess the order is important in which I change things around - I'll
give it a go

Thanks for your help
Dan