Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup Error, how to convert Text to Number

I have a Table with foll Detail Which is used for Vlookup (This is created
by spooling data from a software package)

Id Name Date Fee
129 Tom 15/12/07 500
158 Kat 14/11/01 450

The above id's (129 and 158 etc ) are Text values
I.e if I use a test, =Istext(Id Cell) it gives me "True"

Our head office sends me an excel File

Id Name Date Fee
129 Blank Blank Blank

The Id's they sent are in Number format
I used a Test =Isnumber(Id cell) it gives me "True"

I am using a VlookupFormula to fill the Blank information sent by Headoffice
by refering to by data stored in the first table. but since in the Original
table the Id's are in Text format and the Id's in the second table are
Number. Vlookup gives an error.

How can I convert these Numbers to text, or Text to Numbers.

Format Cells Numbers . . .. does not help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One way is to copy a blank cell, then right click on the id col of text
numbers psate special add ok. That should convert it all at one go to
real numbers.
--
Max
Singapore
"claude jerry" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

welcome, glad it helped.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"claude jerry" wrote in message
Thanks Max
It was a nice easy solution

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can also use a formula without changing the cells format, something like
this:

=VLOOKUP(TEXT(A1,"#"),table,2,0)

Cheers!
Jean-Guy

"claude jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes ! that was something new I was looking for.

Just for my extra information. . How will I change a Text 1234 to Number 1234

I guess for this Max's trick works well

Thanks both you guys

"claude jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

To change numbers formatted as text to real numbers you can use the ABS
function:

=ABS(A1)

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"claude jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

but
refering to some other context, If I have a Text value say '-235 and I want
to convert this Text into Number -235 . . . =Abs() will , show convert the
number as positive 235,

"claude jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes...also found this to work as well:

=IMREAL(A1)

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"RagDyeR" wrote:

How about:

=SIGN(A1)*ABS(A1)

?

RD

"claude jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That does need the ATP however.

RD

"pinmaster" wrote in message
Yes...also found this to work as well:

=IMREAL(A1)

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"RagDyeR" wrote:

How about:

=SIGN(A1)*ABS(A1)

?

RD

"claude jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"claude jerry" wrote:
I have a *Table with foll Detail Which is used for Vlookup (This is created
by spooling data from a software package)

Id * * * *Name * Date * * * * * *Fee
129 * *Tom * * * 15/12/07 * * *500
158 * * Kat * * * * *14/11/01 * * 450

The above id's (129 and 158 etc ) areTextvalues
I.e if I use a test, =Istext(Id Cell) it gives me "True"

Our head office sends me an excel File

Id * * *Name * * * Date * * *Fee
129 * *Blank * * * Blank * *Blank

The Id's they sent are in Number format
I used a Test =Isnumber(Id cell) it gives me "True"

I am using a VlookupFormula to fill the Blank information sent by Headoffice
by refering to by data stored in the first table. but since in the Original
table the Id's are inTextformat and the Id's in the second table are
Number. Vlookup gives an error.

How can IconverttheseNumberstotext, orTexttoNumbers.

Format Cells Numbers. . .. does not help- Hide quotedtext-

Any suggestions, resources or perhaps solutions on how I can convert
text into numbers on excel 2007? I have a column on my excel sheet and
it has the text "Positive" and I want to convert that into 1?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

wrote
Any suggestions, resources or perhaps solutions on how I can convert
text into numbers on excel 2007? I have a column on my excel sheet and
it has the text "Positive" and I want to convert that into 1?

You could try Edit Replace

Steps in xl2003
(I don't know/have xl2007)

Select the col
Click Edit Replace,
set it as:
Find: Positive
Replace with: 1
Click to Replace All
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Dec 22, 5:02*am, "Max" wrote:
wrote
Any suggestions, resources or perhaps solutions on how I can convert
text into numbers on excel 2007? I have a column on my excel sheet and
it has the text "Positive" and I want to convert that into 1?

You could try Edit Replace

Steps in xl2003
(I don't know/have xl2007)

Select the col
Click Edit Replace,
set it as:
Find: Positive
Replace with: 1
Click to Replace All
--
Max
Singaporehttp://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
--- *

Dude, you are the Man...I am not quite sure why I wasn't thinking more
in a simple manner.......