Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007, Conditional Formatting, Format Painter

Hi! I had a question using the format painter in the new Excel 2007 for
conditional formatting. In my "old" version of Excel, if I had a conditional
format in cell F5, I could format paint that conditional formatting from F6
through F200, and the relative reference that I used in F5 would update in
F6, F7, F8, etc.

Now, however, when I do that same function, all of the conditional
formatting for F6 through F200 uses the relative reference of F6. The only
way I've found to do this is to double-click the format painter, and
individually click F6, and then F7, and then F8, etc.

I'm pretty good at clicking, but this is too much - even for me! please help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Rather than using the format painter, it is easier (IMO) in XL2007 to got to
Conditional Formattingand change the range in the Applies to field

--

Regards
Roger Govier

"cdankanis" wrote in message
Hi! I had a question using the format painter in the new Excel 2007 for
conditional formatting. In my "old" version of Excel, if I had a
conditional
format in cell F5, I could format paint that conditional formatting from
F6
through F200, and the relative reference that I used in F5 would update in
F6, F7, F8, etc.

Now, however, when I do that same function, all of the conditional
formatting for F6 through F200 uses the relative reference of F6. The
only
way I've found to do this is to double-click the format painter, and
individually click F6, and then F7, and then F8, etc.

I'm pretty good at clicking, but this is too much - even for me! please
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I need to have F5 be
conditionally formatted based on C5, and F6 on C6. Now I see that I wasn't
clear enough at all. I'm sorry!

"cdankanis" wrote in message
Hi! I had a question using the format painter in the new Excel 2007 for
conditional formatting. In my "old" version of Excel, if I had a
conditional
format in cell F5, I could format paint that conditional formatting from
F6
through F200, and the relative reference that I used in F5 would update in
F6, F7, F8, etc.

Now, however, when I do that same function, all of the conditional
formatting for F6 through F200 uses the relative reference of F6. The
only
way I've found to do this is to double-click the format painter, and
individually click F6, and then F7, and then F8, etc.

I'm pretty good at clicking, but this is too much - even for me! please
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

That's exactly what I am saying.
Set the condition you want for any cell, then extend the range to apply to
further cells in column F.

Or, mark the range you want CF to apply to first, then set the CF based upon
the first cell in the range, as a relative value, not an absolute.
--

Regards
Roger Govier