Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how can I conditionally format a cell based on the value in a diff

How can I conditionally format a cell based on the value in a different cell.

I have two columns of information. None of the information in the cells I am
trying to format is numeric. I am trying to track names to loans that are
with the company. If they wrote outside, I need to keep track of which other
company it was written with.

The First column currently has a conditional format to highlight the cell if
the value is = "Home". The other values that are entered are variations of
"Outside". I have to keep the variations as they are, in order to track which
loans went with which other company.

The second column has the borrowers name. I need this column to highlight
the cells if the loan was written outside.

So if the cell is highlighted in column A, it should not be highlighted in
the column B.
And Vice versa.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

aquigley,

When you say:

The other values that are entered are variations of
"Outside".

That means what exactly? Do they all start with the word "Outside"?

If so, you could do something like this:

(Assuming conditional formatting data is in B2:B25)
1. Select the data (B2:B25)
2. Open Conditional Formatting (FormatConditional Fomatting...)
3. Change the "Cell Value Is" drop down box to "Formula Is"
4. Enter this formula (w/o the qotes): "=left(B2,7)="Outside""
5. Set formatting properties to your desire.

If "variations of 'Outside'" is something different than my assumption, let
me know and we can adjust it to get it to work.

HTH,

Conan

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
basically you set up a true/false situation.
if formula is....=IF(A1="home",0,1)
0 = false, 1 = true

regards
FSt1
"aquigley" wrote:

How can I conditionally format a cell based on the value in a different cell.

I have two columns of information. None of the information in the cells I am
trying to format is numeric. I am trying to track names to loans that are
with the company. If they wrote outside, I need to keep track of which other
company it was written with.

The First column currently has a conditional format to highlight the cell if
the value is = "Home". The other values that are entered are variations of
"Outside". I have to keep the variations as they are, in order to track which
loans went with which other company.

The second column has the borrowers name. I need this column to highlight
the cells if the loan was written outside.

So if the cell is highlighted in column A, it should not be highlighted in
the column B.
And Vice versa.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I select D1:D10 and use Condition Formatting with:
Formula Is; K410 --- green pattern
Then cells D1 to D10 will turn green when corresponding cells in range K4 to
K 13 have a value 10
Any help?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how can I conditionally format a cell based on the value in a

Conan,

The variations of 'Outside' are acronyms of the other companies names.
So the only constant in the column is 'Home'.

Also it's a live list, I add information to it everyday, will that be a
problem if I highlight just the cells that currently have data? So far the
conditional formatting has been applied to new information because I "insert
copied cells" in stead of just pasting.

Thanks!

AQuigley

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

aquigley,

Try this:

Follow my directions from my previous post (below), but chang:

=left(B2,7)="Outside"

to:

=A2<"Home"

I think that will accomplish your desired results.

Let me know,

conan

"aquigley" wrote in message
Conan,

The variations of 'Outside' are acronyms of the other companies names.
So the only constant in the column is 'Home'.

Also it's a live list, I add information to it everyday, will that be a
problem if I highlight just the cells that currently have data? So far the
conditional formatting has been applied to new information because I
"insert
copied cells" in stead of just pasting.

Thanks!

AQuigley

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perfect. Thanks!

"aquigley" wrote in message
Conan,

The variations of 'Outside' are acronyms of the other companies names.
So the only constant in the column is 'Home'.

Also it's a live list, I add information to it everyday, will that be a
problem if I highlight just the cells that currently have data? So far the
conditional formatting has been applied to new information because I
"insert
copied cells" in stead of just pasting.

Thanks!

AQuigley

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

no problem......any time!!!
"aquigley" wrote in message
Perfect. Thanks!

"aquigley" wrote in message
Conan,

The variations of 'Outside' are acronyms of the other companies names.
So the only constant in the column is 'Home'.

Also it's a live list, I add information to it everyday, will that be a
problem if I highlight just the cells that currently have data? So far
the
conditional formatting has been applied to new information because I
"insert
copied cells" in stead of just pasting.

Thanks!

AQuigley

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Folks,

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to do something similar, I
think.

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several columns of Yes/No Data (E, F,
and G). Basically, if the answers in F and G are both no, and the answer in
E is Yes, I want the formatting of the E cell to be different. How would I
change the function described earlier, or can I to do what I'm trying to do?

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,

Jules

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CF/ Formula Is/
=AND(E2="Yes",F2="No",G2="No")
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to do something similar, I
think.

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several columns of Yes/No Data (E,
F,
and G). Basically, if the answers in F and G are both no, and the answer
in
E is Yes, I want the formatting of the E cell to be different. How would
change the function described earlier, or can I to do what I'm trying to
do?

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,

Jules

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you! That totally worked!

Jules

"David Biddulph" wrote:

CF/ Formula Is/
=AND(E2="Yes",F2="No",G2="No")
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to do something similar, I
think.

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several columns of Yes/No Data (E,
F,
and G). Basically, if the answers in F and G are both no, and the answer
in
E is Yes, I want the formatting of the E cell to be different. How would
change the function described earlier, or can I to do what I'm trying to
do?

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,

Jules

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just out of curiousity, is it possible to get that formatting to apply to the
whole row?

Just trying to highlight rows where this combination of data is present.

Thanks!

Jules

"David Biddulph" wrote:

CF/ Formula Is/
=AND(E2="Yes",F2="No",G2="No")
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to do something similar, I
think.

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several columns of Yes/No Data (E,
F,
and G). Basically, if the answers in F and G are both no, and the answer
in
E is Yes, I want the formatting of the E cell to be different. How would
change the function described earlier, or can I to do what I'm trying to
do?

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,

Jules

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad to hear it.
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Thank you! That totally worked!

Jules

"David Biddulph" wrote:

CF/ Formula Is/
=AND(E2="Yes",F2="No",G2="No")
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to do something
similar, I
think.

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several columns of Yes/No Data
(E,
F,
and G). Basically, if the answers in F and G are both no, and the
answer
in
E is Yes, I want the formatting of the E cell to be different. How
would
change the function described earlier, or can I to do what I'm trying
do?

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,

Jules

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

aquigley,

When you say:

"aquigley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, it is.

Just make sure that the column references use absolute addressing, not
relative.
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Just out of curiousity, is it possible to get that formatting to apply to
the
whole row?

Just trying to highlight rows where this combination of data is present.

Thanks!

Jules

"David Biddulph" wrote:

CF/ Formula Is/
=AND(E2="Yes",F2="No",G2="No")
--
David Biddulph

"JulesB" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to do something
similar, I
think.

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that has several columns of Yes/No Data
(E,
F,
and G). Basically, if the answers in F and G are both no, and the
answer
in
E is Yes, I want the formatting of the E cell to be different. How
would
change the function described earlier, or can I to do what I'm trying
do?

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks,

Jules