Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Floating info box

I've got a spreadsheet that has several columns. One of the columns is a
frequency column that means 30 days / 60 days / 90 days, etc but the numbers
that are in it (I downloaded this report from SAP)don't say that exactly -
how can i create some kind of floating box that the user can see what day
frequency the number means -
3 = 4 Wks / 5 = 6 Wks, etc......
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

on the menuWhy don't you freeze panes so the column headings stay in view and
assign insert a comment box at the top of the column.

Move the cell pointer one row below the rows you want to lock and to the
right of the columns you want to lock and click WINDOWS/FREEZE PANES on the
menu.

To insert a comment, move the cell pointer to the cell you want to place the
comment in and click INSERT/COMMENT on the menu and enter the legend for each
of the numeric values that represent weeks.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Linking worksheets" wrote:

I've got a spreadsheet that has several columns. One of the columns is a
frequency column that means 30 days / 60 days / 90 days, etc but the numbers
that are in it (I downloaded this report from SAP)don't say that exactly -
how can i create some kind of floating box that the user can see what day
frequency the number means -
3 = 4 Wks / 5 = 6 Wks, etc......

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Another route - use the input msg feature of data validation

Eg select col B, click Data Validation Input Message tab
Enter the details for title/msg such as:
3 = 4 Wks / 5 = 6 Wks, ...
Click OK

The "floater message" will appear when any cell in col B is selected.
--
Max
Singapore
"Linking worksheets" wrote:
I've got a spreadsheet that has several columns. One of the columns is a
frequency column that means 30 days / 60 days / 90 days, etc but the numbers
that are in it (I downloaded this report from SAP)don't say that exactly -
how can i create some kind of floating box that the user can see what day
frequency the number means -
3 = 4 Wks / 5 = 6 Wks, etc......

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

welcome, glad you found that useful.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"Linking worksheets" wrote in
message ...
Thank you for your message, I did as you explained and it worked!!! Thank
you
so very much!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This tutorial tip was very helpful to me but it seems to limit the amount of
text. Is there a way to get around that? I need to type more than the box
will allow.

Thank you!

"Max" wrote:

welcome, glad you found that useful.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"Linking worksheets" wrote in
message ...
Thank you for your message, I did as you explained and it worked!!! Thank
you
so very much!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Roady" wrote:
This tutorial tip was very helpful to me but it seems to limit the amount of
text. Is there a way to get around that? I need to type more than the box
will allow.

It seems there's a 255 char limitation (just tested it here since you
mentioned it). I'm not sure there's a way to get around it. Looks like its
intended only for short and sweet messages.

But perhaps as an alternative, you might want to tinker around
with this sample from my archives:
http://savefile.com/files/1065888
Floating Textbox Example.xls