Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default open excel file but lock account

I open one excel file in office that if one person open it, then the other
people want to open this file will see a window to tell this guy choose "read
only" and so on. So I want to ask how to cancell this lock account. Or can I
retrieve this file from the previous time when I opened? Thanks any one to
reply my question!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think that you CAN cancel this - the file is locked for "read-write"
by the other user.
1) If you don't want other users to be able to "read-write", password
protect it.
2) If you would prefer that users who only want to "inspect" data don't lock
the file then set option "read only recommended".
3) Make **** sure that everybody who potentially will use the file has their
personal details recorded in their Excel settings. This is not such a problem
these days, but we used to have terrible problems working out who had locked
a shared file because the default username on our system was "administrator".
You had NO idea who the real culprit was.