Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column Order Reversal...

I have a column of 1000 items.

I would like to be able to "reverse" the current order of the column, but
cannot use the sort feature as I have numbers mixed with text. Every time I
attempt to use the sort feature, everything is all messed up.

So if I have this...

1
2
3
4
5

I need this...

5
4
3
2
1

How can I accomplish this programmatically?

Thanx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert 2 columns before column A (temporarily).
In the new column B, in B1 type "Number". In B2 type "1". In B3 type "=B2+1".
Double click B3's Fill Handle to number the entire column.
Select column B. Copy.
Click A1. Go to Edit | Paste Special. Click Values. OK.
Sort on column A in DESCENDING order.
Remove columns A and B.

"Steven Sinclair" wrote:

I have a column of 1000 items.

I would like to be able to "reverse" the current order of the column, but
cannot use the sort feature as I have numbers mixed with text. Every time I
attempt to use the sort feature, everything is all messed up.

So if I have this...

1
2
3
4
5

I need this...

5
4
3
2
1

How can I accomplish this programmatically?

Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The easiest way to do this:
Insert a new column (it's only temporary)
Select the cell in that column on the same row as your first row of data.
Enter the number 1.
With that cell selected, click edit, fill, series.
Change series in: to columns.
Set a stop value of 1000.
Sort your table by the new column in descending order.
Delete or hide the "cheat" column.

"Steven Sinclair" wrote:

I have a column of 1000 items.

I would like to be able to "reverse" the current order of the column, but
cannot use the sort feature as I have numbers mixed with text. Every time I
attempt to use the sort feature, everything is all messed up.

So if I have this...

1
2
3
4
5

I need this...

5
4
3
2
1

How can I accomplish this programmatically?

Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using a formula:

=INDEX(A$1:A$1000,ROWS(A1:A$1000))