Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I validate text in a cell based on other sheets in the work

What I am trying to do is check the text in a cell on one sheet to see if it
is the same as the text in any of 4 cells on the last three sheets in the
workbook and issue a warning if it is the same. I can't seem to figure out a
way to do this. Can it be done and if so how?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Vague, but perhaps something simple along these lines
using COUNTIF would work for you

Assume the last 3 sheets are named: Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet3
and the text to be checked in each are located in col A

In Sheet1,
you have the text* listed in A2 down
*to be checked

Put in B2:
=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,A2),COUNTIF(Sheet3!A:A, A2),COUNTIF(Sheet4!A:A,A2))0,"Alert!","")
Copy B2 down as far as required. If the text in col A is found in any of the
3 sheets, col B will return: Alert!, otherwise it'll stay "blank". Adapt to
suit.
--
Max
Singapore
"subdeven" wrote:
What I am trying to do is check the text in a cell on one sheet to see if it
is the same as the text in any of 4 cells on the last three sheets in the
workbook and issue a warning if it is the same. I can't seem to figure out a
way to do this. Can it be done and if so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you try a formula like:
=OR(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!
A1:A4,1,FALSE))),NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet3!
A1:A4,1,FALSE))),NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet4!A1: A4,1,FALSE))))

this gives you a FALSE if the word in A1 does not exist, or a TRUE if
it does exist.

Maybe that puts you on the right path.

Cheers Carlo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Default How do I validate text in a cell based on other sheets in the

ugh, typo:
Assume the last 3 sheets are named: Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet3

should read as:
Assume the last 3 sheets are named: Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4