Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sk sk is offline

Default Taking values from another cell

Thanks to everyone in advance..

I am taking values from one XL sheet and using them in another one (with a
simple "=" function). However, values that are blank in the original sheet
show up with a '0' in the new one. Is there a way for a blank to show up as a
blank? (and if the original blank cell is filled then the new cell gets
filled with that value?)

I don't know any visual basic or anything like that, and I would prefer to
avoid using macros...

Thanks again
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

=IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1)

the double quotes represent a blank cell

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"SK" wrote:

Thanks to everyone in advance..

I am taking values from one XL sheet and using them in another one (with a
simple "=" function). However, values that are blank in the original sheet
show up with a '0' in the new one. Is there a way for a blank to show up as a
blank? (and if the original blank cell is filled then the new cell gets
filled with that value?)

I don't know any visual basic or anything like that, and I would prefer to
avoid using macros...

Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way would be to click on the menu bar Tools Options Uncheck Zero
Values OK which will hide all zero's in the sheet,
Another would be to use a formula, something like:-
=IF(Sheet2!A1<0,Sheet2!A1,"")
which is saying if Sheet2, A1 is not equal to zero (or blank) then display
the value in that cell, if it is equal to zero (or blank) then display "",
which displays as an empty cell.
Regards,
Alan.
"SK" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone in advance..

I am taking values from one XL sheet and using them in another one (with a
simple "=" function). However, values that are blank in the original sheet
show up with a '0' in the new one. Is there a way for a blank to show up
as a
blank? (and if the original blank cell is filled then the new cell gets
filled with that value?)

I don't know any visual basic or anything like that, and I would prefer to
avoid using macros...

Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome.....thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!
Jean-Guy

"SK" wrote:

Success!!! it works!!

Thank you : )

"SK" wrote:

Thanks to everyone in advance..

I am taking values from one XL sheet and using them in another one (with a
simple "=" function). However, values that are blank in the original sheet
show up with a '0' in the new one. Is there a way for a blank to show up as a
blank? (and if the original blank cell is filled then the new cell gets
filled with that value?)

I don't know any visual basic or anything like that, and I would prefer to
avoid using macros...

Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sk sk is offline

I should have mentioned that I'm using MS Office 2007. By any chance, would
you know how to access those settings in this version? Also, would this
solution just hide the zeros, or actually use blank values?

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback

"SK" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone in advance..

I am taking values from one XL sheet and using them in another one (with a
simple "=" function). However, values that are blank in the original sheet
show up with a '0' in the new one. Is there a way for a blank to show up
as a
blank? (and if the original blank cell is filled then the new cell gets
filled with that value?)

I don't know any visual basic or anything like that, and I would prefer to
avoid using macros...

Thanks again

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't use 2007 so I can't say. It would just hide the zero's, the cell
wouldn't be blank, but neither is the cell blank using a formula which
returns "". It looks blank but it contains what's known as a null string, a
different thing to a blank or empty cell.
If you used the formula's that pinmaster or I suggested to return these null
strings in say A1:A10 and then used the COUNTA function which counts non
empty cells, =COUNTA(A1:A10), the result will 10, ie 10 non empty cells,
Regards,
Alan.

"Alan" wrote:

One way would be to click on the menu bar Tools Options Uncheck Zero
Values OK which will hide all zero's in the sheet,
Another would be to use a formula, something like:-
=IF(Sheet2!A1<0,Sheet2!A1,"")
which is saying if Sheet2, A1 is not equal to zero (or blank) then
display
the value in that cell, if it is equal to zero (or blank) then display
"",