Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Base

Hi All

I need to measure the performance of a service. I have to time how long it
takes for series 502 from OPEN to ASG. I wouldn't be a problem if I had the
data from the same series in the same row, but it is not the case. I will
have the OPN time in row 2 and the ASG time in row 3 or 4 or 5. The process
have 7 steps and not all the series go through all 7 steps. That means that
if I sorted all the series in ascendent order, the series not necessarily
match in the same row.

Is there any way I can sort the data so I get all the data of series 502
in the same row? Below is the example of the raw data.

A B C D

1 SERIE OPEN SERIE ASG
2 502 11/12/07 17:20 505 11/12/07 20:50
4 507 11/12/07 15:20 502 11/12/07 11:30
5

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First Excel is not a database, it's a spreadsheet. When you choose to use a
spreadsheet over a database you are trading away a lot of functionality.

But, moving on to your problem...

Is there only 1 Open entry and 1 ASG entry per series in the spreadsheet?

"orquidea" wrote:

Hi All

I need to measure the performance of a service. I have to time how long it
takes for series 502 from OPEN to ASG. I wouldn't be a problem if I had the
data from the same series in the same row, but it is not the case. I will
have the OPN time in row 2 and the ASG time in row 3 or 4 or 5. The process
have 7 steps and not all the series go through all 7 steps. That means that
if I sorted all the series in ascendent order, the series not necessarily
match in the same row.

Is there any way I can sort the data so I get all the data of series 502
in the same row? Below is the example of the raw data.

A B C D

1 SERIE OPEN SERIE ASG
2 502 11/12/07 17:20 505 11/12/07 20:50
4 507 11/12/07 15:20 502 11/12/07 11:30
5

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No too much but if you explain a litlle bit to me what should I do and with
the Excel help I think I would be able to do it.

Thanks for replying back

Orquidea

"orquidea" wrote:

Hi All

I need to measure the performance of a service. I have to time how long it
takes for series 502 from OPEN to ASG. I wouldn't be a problem if I had the
data from the same series in the same row, but it is not the case. I will
have the OPN time in row 2 and the ASG time in row 3 or 4 or 5. The process
have 7 steps and not all the series go through all 7 steps. That means that
if I sorted all the series in ascendent order, the series not necessarily
match in the same row.

Is there any way I can sort the data so I get all the data of series 502
in the same row? Below is the example of the raw data.

A B C D

1 SERIE OPEN SERIE ASG
2 502 11/12/07 17:20 505 11/12/07 20:50
4 507 11/12/07 15:20 502 11/12/07 11:30
5

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I'm understanding your data layout correctly, it's:

A B C D
1 Series Time Series Time
2 Series Time Series Time
3 Series Time Series Time
4 Series Time Series Time

Which I do find kind of odd by the way..

So essentially you are going to make a new column (E) which will use the
vlookup function to search through column C until it finds a match for the
value in the current row of column A, and then return the value of D.

So the formula for E1 would be =VLOOKUP(A1,C:D,2,FALSE)

A1 - the cell with the search value
C:D - the cell range to look through, only the left most column will be
searched but we needed to include the D column so we could return a value
from it.
2 - the column number to return a value from ( D in this case )
False - the data is not sorted, so this must be false else an error is
returned

You will then have the correct time in column E to match the series in
column A. The display will be confusing as columns C & D will not match A, B
& C.. so you might want to have your data display in another worksheet.