Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help & me match these rows

Problem i have
1 Execel file 2 sheets

SHeet 1 has 1900 lines of data
Url File Names going down in Row A

hello.htm
hell2.htm
444.htm

Sheet 2 has 2100 lines of data
Row A
Same but this time only part of the data and sometimes full
hello.h
hell2.htm
444.ht

Which means people missed putting files into the excel file
What i need to do is do some type of if or match function so that if

A1:A1905 = Matches or part matches Sheet 2 A1:A2100 then it displaces
the word match or no match in the sheet 2 file some where

Any help would be great

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 15, 9:48 am, Mrbanner wrote:
Problem i have
1 Execel file 2 sheets

SHeet 1 has 1900 lines of data
Url File Names going down in Row A

hello.htm
hell2.htm
444.htm

Sheet 2 has 2100 lines of data
Row A
Same but this time only part of the data and sometimes full
hello.h
hell2.htm
444.ht

Which means people missed putting files into the excel file
What i need to do is do some type of if or match function so that if

A1:A1905 = Matches or part matches Sheet 2 A1:A2100 then it displaces
the word match or no match in the sheet 2 file some where

Any help would be great

is the filename unique?
or is it possible, that you have
hello.htm
hello.html
hello.php
hello.php4

If it is unique, a Vlookup should be able to do what you need.
If it is not unique, then it will be a little bit more difficult, to
be
honest i don't have any idea how i would solve the problem.

But if you want to try the vlookup:
Make a new column in your sheet2 with the formula:
=LEFT(A2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",A2)),LEN(A2),FIND("." ,A2)-1))
and copy it down

then in a new column in sheet1:
=if(iserror(vlookup(LEFT(A2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",A2 )),LEN(A2),FIND(".",A2)-1)),sheet2!
B:B,1,false),"No Match", "Match")

I started with A2 in case you use Titles
change shee2!B:B to your new column in sheet2

hth

Carlo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry for no reply i did send one but it didnt post
so i created new topic sorry
Her eit is again
Easier this time around

OK
Same data put it into 1 sheet
a b
1 hi.htm hi.htm
2 hello.htm hellow.htm
3 blue.htm bbloe.htm
4 bbloe blue.htm
5 happy.htm jeusus.htm
6 happy1.htm

Ok A has 1905 lines b has 2010 lines
what i need to do is if Anywhere in b1:1905 matches anywhere in
a1:2010
In C1:2010 it shows True or false.
that way i can see what records are missign from the colum B
and then fix them up quickly

On Nov 15, 12:05 pm, carlo wrote:
[...]

Carlo- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 15, 12:05 pm, carlo wrote:

[...]

I still need to know, if you have multiple filenames (excl. the
extension).
What I would do is look for the filename without extension and compare
them (as i described in my first post), but that only works if you
have unique filenames.

Carlo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i understand if i was to remove the extenstion
How would i log which ones in B are not listed in A?
Remembering that something in A400 could match to something in B300

On Nov 15, 12:05 pm, carlo wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, you enter following formula in to C2 and then copy it down:
=LEFT(A2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",A2)),LEN(A2),FIND("." ,A2)-1))

and then you enter follwing formula to D2 and copy it down:
=if(iserror(vlookup(LEFT(B2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",B2 )),LEN(B2),FIND(".",B2)-1-)),C:C,
1,false),"No Match", "Match")

Then you can put an autofilter and select all "No Match"

Tell me if that works or not.

Carlo

On Nov 15, 12:05 pm, carlo wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for help dude
When i am typing in formula i am gettign a error
=if(iserror(vlookup(LEFT(B2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(".",B2 )),LEN(B2),FIND(".",B2)-1--)),C:C,
1,false),"No Match", "Match")

Seem to be getting error may contain errors
i have done just asj you put above
(".",B2)-1-)) is where the error seems to lay

On Nov 15, 12:05 pm, carlo wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, i just saw, that I had some problems with the braces:
(because of the word wrap i split up the formula, make sure
to put it back together in excel)