Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Match & combine rows from 2 worksheets

I have two worksheets w/ data that I want to combine into a single worksheet.
I want to combine rows based upon one column of data that each shares:

worksheet 1:

ID # Name State
1 Bob Ohio
1 Sue Utah
2 Joe Iowa

Worksheet 2:

ID# Location size
1 east 4
2 midwest 6

Combined Worksheet:

ID# Name State Location Size
1 Bob Ohio east 4
1 Sue Utah east 4
2 Joe iowa midwest 6

I am struggling to figure this out.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP would help you here. Here's info on the function:
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/vlookup.php

Post back if you have problems getting the function to work.

Dave

"Doug" wrote:

I have two worksheets w/ data that I want to combine into a single worksheet.
I want to combine rows based upon one column of data that each shares:

worksheet 1:

ID # Name State
1 Bob Ohio
1 Sue Utah
2 Joe Iowa

Worksheet 2:

ID# Location size
1 east 4
2 midwest 6

Combined Worksheet:

ID# Name State Location Size
1 Bob Ohio east 4
1 Sue Utah east 4
2 Joe iowa midwest 6

I am struggling to figure this out.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Doug,

In cell D2 of worksheet 1, use the formula

=VLOOKUP($A2,'Worksheet 2'!$A:$C,COLUMN()-2,False)

Copy it to cell E2, then copy D2:E2 to match your data in worksheet 1. You can then copy columns D
and E and pastespecial values, then get rid of worksheet 2, if you want.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP