Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using non-default printer on start-up

Is there a way I can set excel to always use a specific printer rather than
the default? This is something I need set on open.

Right now I have to change the default printer before I open excel, and
change it back after I have closed it. If I don't do this, the formating on
my document gets changed on open to use the default printer settings rather
than the printer I need to use instead.

Basically instead of printing to a laser printer, I need to use a dot matrix
for carbonless forms.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For a particular workbook only.

Add to Thisworkbook module.

Application.ActivePrinter = "Epson Stylus COLOR 800 ESC/P 2 on LPT1:"
End Sub

Adjust for the printer you want to use.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:07:03 -0800, Andrew Felsenstein <Andrew
wrote:

Is there a way I can set excel to always use a specific printer rather than
the default? This is something I need set on open.

Right now I have to change the default printer before I open excel, and
change it back after I have closed it. If I don't do this, the formating on
my document gets changed on open to use the default printer settings rather
than the printer I need to use instead.

Basically instead of printing to a laser printer, I need to use a dot matrix
for carbonless forms.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank your for the suggestion. I tried it, but it still tries to default to
windows default printer and tries to re-format the document using the windows
default printer properties. I notice when I hover over the printer icon it
shows the windows default printer as well.

I tried this on 2 different PC's and got the same results. I have even
tried changing the printer properties from using spooling to printing
directly.

The windows default printer is a network printer. The printer I want to
print to is directly hooked to the PC via LPT1.

Any other suggestions?

wrote:

Is there a way I can set excel to always use a specific printer rather than
the default? This is something I need set on open.

Right now I have to change the default printer before I open excel, and
change it back after I have closed it. If I don't do this, the formating on
my document gets changed on open to use the default printer settings rather
than the printer I need to use instead.

Basically instead of printing to a laser printer, I need to use a dot matrix
for carbonless forms.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I figured it out. I made a slight change to your module. I used:

Private Sub Workbook_OnOpen(Cancel As Boolean)
Application.ActivePrinter = "Genicom 3810S on LPT1:"
End Sub

Works perfect now. Thanks for your help!!

wrote:

Is there a way I can set excel to always use a specific printer rather than
the default? This is something I need set on open.

Right now I have to change the default printer before I open excel, and
change it back after I have closed it. If I don't do this, the formating on
my document gets changed on open to use the default printer settings rather
than the printer I need to use instead.

Basically instead of printing to a laser printer, I need to use a dot matrix
for carbonless forms.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That was going to be my first suggestion but went with the other.

Did not test thoroughly.

Glad you're sorted.

BTW..........should be just a workbook_open sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.ActivePrinter = "Genicom 3810S on LPT1:"
End Sub

Gord