Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Stop Excel converting csv values to scientific format

Hi - we have a data supply that delivers a csv file as the output and we want
to cut and paste the csv content into an Excel sheet. In this csv file is one
column that contains an alphanumeric value. The problem is when the number
happens to end in E03 (for example) Excel thinks this is a scientific
notation and puts three zeros at the end of the value - which now makes the
value wrong.

We tried formatting the Excel spreadsheet column to be text only - but it
appears that the problem is occuring when Excel opens the csv file and NOT
when we enter the data into the Excel file.

How can I prevent this happening please? Is there a different way of opening
the csv file? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David - nice one, thanks.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Rename the csv file as .txt and open that from within Excel (or use Data/
Import External Data to import the .csv file, rather than just opening it),
and the text import wizard will allow you to specify the relevant column as
text before the data values are imported.
--
David Biddulph