Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Grd Grd is offline

Default text format doesn't work properly

Hi,

When I change a bunch of numbers to text format it doesn't work straight
away. I need to edit each number (F2) to kick in the change and then the
format seems to stick. I'm using Excel 2003.

When I used IsText function it said false until I edited each cell and
pressed enter.

I'm having to do this for each cell. Please help.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Suzanne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Grd" wrote in message ...
| Hi,
|
| When I change a bunch of numbers to text format it doesn't work straight
| away. I need to edit each number (F2) to kick in the change and then the
| format seems to stick. I'm using Excel 2003.
|
| When I used IsText function it said false until I edited each cell and
| pressed enter.
|
| I'm having to do this for each cell. Please help.
|
| Any help greatly appreciated.
|
| Thanks
|
| Suzanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Suzanne,

Use a formula =TEXT(A1,"general") and copy down as far as needed. Copy and paste Special Values over the original numbers.
Test on a copy first!

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Grd" wrote in message ...
| Hi,
|
| When I change a bunch of numbers to text format it doesn't work straight
| away. I need to edit each number (F2) to kick in the change and then the
| format seems to stick. I'm using Excel 2003.
|
| When I used IsText function it said false until I edited each cell and
| pressed enter.
|
| I'm having to do this for each cell. Please help.
|
| Any help greatly appreciated.
|
| Thanks
|
| Suzanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column with your numbers in it, click Data/TextToColumns on
Excel's menu bar, click the Next button twice to get you to Step 3 of 3
(see title bar), then select Text from the "Column data format" section and
press the Finish button.

Rick