Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Speed of Excel When Inserting & Deleting Rows

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gerry,

I have exactly the same problem. I just got my new computer up and running
and i work in Excel all day long. When inserting and deleting rows or
columns, it takes at least 30 seconds for my new vista machine to respond. I
have several computers with XP-2 and i have no issues with 2007. Have you
found an answer to your problem? I would love to know about it.

Matt Parker

"Gerry" wrote:

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try turning off the "office" portion of your anti-virus program and see if that helps.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Gerry" wrote:

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

No luck on that avenue. I even went as far to uninstall Norton, to make
sure there was no conflict. It has to be a feature in Vista that is causing
it to slow Excel, because i don't have any problems in XP. Any other
thoughts would be great. Thanks for the help

Matt

"Gerry" wrote:

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have Vista, but a couple of (remote) possibilities you could try..
Clear out your Windows(?) Temp folder, where ever that is on Vista
-and-
See is turning off the display of page breaks on the worksheet makes any difference.
Good luck with it.
--

"Gerry" wrote:

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Do you have Google Desktop installed?
Try removing it and see if that makes a difference.
There have been several posts suggesting that this can slow things down with
Excel files.

--

Regards
Roger Govier

"Gerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

Roger had it pegged. It was the google desktop that came preloaded on my
machine. Everything is right now. Thanks again for your help and you might
let everyone know that Google desktop sucks.

Regards

Matt

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Matt,
One more thing to try... change calculation to Manual and see what happens.
Jim Cone

"Jim Cone"
wrote in message I don't have Vista, but a couple of (remote) possibilities you could try..
Clear out your Windows(?) Temp folder, where ever that is on Vista
-and-
See is turning off the display of page breaks on the worksheet makes any difference.
Good luck with it.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger,

That was exactly the problem. Thanks, and i could have never figured it out
without this site and your imput. I would have been nuts before it was over.
I would let everyone know that Google desktop drains the program. Thanks
again for you help.

Regards

Matt Parker

"Gerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gerry,

Roger let me know that the problem is Google Desktop. The program drains
excel's performance. Hope that helps your problem.

Regards

Matt Parker

"Gerry" wrote:

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Matt

Glad it worked for you as well.
I got a new laptop with Vista recently, and noticed some things were slow.
Got rid of all the Google pre-installed stuff and things were much better.

--

Regards
Roger Govier

"Gerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Matt for all the follow-up and thanks Roger for the solution. I
deleted the Google desktop and the problem seems to be solved. (I am very
impressed with this forum.)

Gerry

"Gerry" wrote:

I have my new Vista machine with Excel 2007 on my desk and my old XP PC with
Excel 2002 is pushed aside. The new PC with dual cores, 2 Gb RAM, etc. is
faster in almost every aspect. One exception is inserting and deleting rows
in Excel.

With my old XP/2002 PC, this function is instantaneous. There is not even a
hesitation. With Vista/2007, the aqua, spinning disk appears and there is a
several second hesitation for every insert or delete.

I have all the latest updates and I ran the diagnostics. Everything appears
normal.

So, can it be true that Excel 2007 is just slower? I am creating and editing
spreadsheets every day and the extra seconds are adding up. I wasn't
expecting to take a step backwards in efficiency.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just want to say thank you so much. You and Roger helped me a lot. My excel
was ridiculously slow. I read this and took it all out. I myself just got a
new laptop with Vista. Excell 2007 works great on my desktop with windows XP
but I was getting no where with Vista. I couldn't believe how slow it was. I
uninstalled Google Desktop and everything else Google. It runs so much faster
now. Thank you so much. I myself am glad I found this board.

Thanks again,
Rhonda