Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Moving Columns in a Pivot

Hello I have Excel 2002 - I created a pivot table and on the column section
of the pivot I entered the "Route Code" . I need the columns to be in
descending total order, so I have been moving columns one at a time . My
options are to move to the beginning, move to the right, move to the left
and move to the end. Is there a way that I can move a column more than one
column at a time . expample I want to move column named "FAS four columns
to the left , I have been doing it one column at a time ; that is I
select the column and move to the left once, then I repeat the process.. Is
there a faster way to do this? thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not too sure why you are limited to moving the columns only one column
over at a time. That being said pivot tables can automitically arrange by
total. Right click the Route Code and select Field Settings|Options - Sort
(change to ascending or desending and chage the Sort By to Total...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello I have Excel 2002 - I created a pivot table and on the column section
of the pivot I entered the "Route Code" . I need the columns to be in
descending total order, so I have been moving columns one at a time . My
options are to move to the beginning, move to the right, move to the left
and move to the end. Is there a way that I can move a column more than one
column at a time . expample I want to move column named "FAS four columns
to the left , I have been doing it one column at a time ; that is I
select the column and move to the left once, then I repeat the process.. Is
there a faster way to do this? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim

If you switch to Manual, then you can move columns to any order you require.
As the OP says, the options are Move to Beginning, Move to End, Move Left
and Move Right.
You are limited to one column at a time when choosing Left or Right.

As you rightly say, if you choose Automatic, you can choose Ascending or
Descending, and choose the relevant field to sort by.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello I have Excel 2002 - I created a pivot table and on the column
section
of the pivot I entered the "Route Code" . I need the columns to be in
descending total order, so I have been moving columns one at a time .
My
options are to move to the beginning, move to the right, move to the
left
and move to the end. Is there a way that I can move a column more than
one
column at a time . expample I want to move column named "FAS four
columns
to the left , I have been doing it one column at a time ; that is I
select the column and move to the left once, then I repeat the process..
Is
there a faster way to do this? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

True, but you can just grab the item by it's border (Drag Arrow) and drag it
as far as you want. You do not have to use the Order option off of the menu.
In retrospect I bet that is what the OP was refering to... but since I never
use that it completely slipped my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello I have Excel 2002 - I created a pivot table and on the column
section
of the pivot I entered the "Route Code" . I need the columns to be in
descending total order, so I have been moving columns one at a time .
My
options are to move to the beginning, move to the right, move to the
left
and move to the end. Is there a way that I can move a column more than
one
column at a time . expample I want to move column named "FAS four
columns
to the left , I have been doing it one column at a time ; that is I
select the column and move to the left once, then I repeat the process..
Is
there a faster way to do this? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jim

For some reason, I had thought that the option to drag fields to different
positions only came in with XL2002 and above.
I have just loaded a copy of XL2000 and found it does work there also, so I
was totally mistaken.
I too am grateful that your post has allowed me to correct a mistaken
thought<g.