Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default dependent lists on data validation

i was successful in creating a drop down list on column B, and then creating
another drop down list on column C, which contains sub-items for the
selection of column A. i used the indirect function
(=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(B4," ","")))in the data validation box and it worked
fine....

this time, I'm trying to move out the worksheet into another workbook, but
have the sources remain in the original workbook. i did this by copying the
worksheet to a new workbook, however,, when i try out the data validations i
made on the new workbook, only the data validation of column B is working,
while the data validation for column C( which has the
"=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(B4," ",""))" function in the data validation
source)isn't working, it just shows the drop down arrow, but doesn't drop
down and the choices for it does not show....

anyway i can make this work?

this discussion groups have been a great help for me, without this, i
couldn't have gone far with this project i'm working on...hehehe...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yes, my original workbook is open at the same time... still only the first
validation works, the second doesn't...

and for the link, Debra Dalgleish's site , yup, that's where i actually got
the indirect function to use with the dual validation list i made....