Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Create Outlook Contact from Excel

How can I create an Outlook contact from Excel? Is there a way to specify
where the contact is saved? I would like to save it to my Public contact
folder (I am using Exchange 2007) or if that isnt possible I would like to
be prompted to save it to a file location. Also Is there a list of what
fields Outlook uses? Like Business Phone, Email, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With Outlook open go to FileImport Export"Import from another program or file"

Follow your nose from there to choose your Excel workbook.

I would first save the workbook after giving your list a defined
name through InsertNameDefine.

Outlook likes that.

Note: the mapping can be done while importing.

To see the full list of fields Outlook has, export some of your your contacts to
a new Excel workbook to get an idea of what's available for mapping.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:15:01 -0800, Eric wrote:

How can I create an Outlook contact from Excel? Is there a way to specify
where the contact is saved? I would like to save it to my Public contact
folder (I am using Exchange 2007) or if that isn’t possible I would like to
be prompted to save it to a file location. Also Is there a list of what
fields Outlook uses? Like Business Phone, Email, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Eric,

If you have Excel open, press Alt plus F11, then click the 'Tools' drop down
menu and choose 'References...'. Next, find the tool button called 'Object
Browser' and select that. Locate and place a checkmark next to Microsoft
Outlook 11.0 Object Library (note that it may not be 11.0 depending on your
version of Office). Ok your way out.

Just below the drop down menus, locate the 'Object Browser' tool and select
it. Where it says 'Classes' locate and select 'ContactItem'. In the right
pane, among the properties (and methods and events) you will find the
appropriate field names for contacts. The ones I typically use are
BusinessAddress, Birthday, BusinessFaxNumber, BusinessTelephoneNumber,
Email1Address, Email1DisplayName, FullName but there are many more.

Hope that helps,

Steve Yandl