Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is excel mailing list exportable to Outlook Contacts?

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Absolutely, I've done this many times -- you have to have your
worksheet in a 'table' format with column headers. Highlight the data
and name your range, then import from Outlook and choose how your
fields should be imported.

If you post your data fields, I can assist further.

Check out this page for more info: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...964231033.aspx

HTH,
JP

On Nov 6, 6:46 pm, Leanne wrote:
I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With Outlook open go to FileImport ExportImport from another program or file"

Follow your nose from there to choose your Excel workbook.

I would first save the workbook after giving your 3000 member list a defined
name through InsertNameDefine.

Outlook likes that.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:46:02 -0800, Leanne
wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks JP,
I appreciate your help. I am having trouble with working in a 'table
format'. I am not sure what is going wrong? Perhaps I haven't set
the spreadsheet up correctly in the first place? I get down to naming
the excel file, and don't know how/where to put in the cell range, and
it goes no further!
My data fields are the following columns which are combination letters/
numbers and are Contact: Premises Name Address.......................
Suburg Pcode Tel Email Address Category
hope you can continue to help.
thanks

On Nov 6, 6:46 pm, Leanne wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 7, 12:52 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
With Outlook open go to FileImport ExportImport from another program or file"

Follow your nose from there to choose your Excel workbook.

Thanks Gord
I found the insert-name-define, but it rejected the name I put in,
perhaps 'defined name' is something specific.
really appreciate your help,
Leanne

wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm having a simlar problem. I've got the table set up, but when I click
"File" in outlook 2007, there isn't an option for "Import/Export" and I can't
find it anywhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jerret

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Your sheet has some headers across row1 like Name, Address, City, State, Zip,
Telephone, Email with each contact on a row below those headers.

You select the entire range of data first in Excel

InsertNameDefine type in a name like MyName which defines the range you
selected.

Save then boop off to Outlook and FileImport/Export

Gord

wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HI
I am having similar problems- I have defined the data list, which has header
names, with 1 name for the data, and also made sure that there are no other
names defined, yet the error message form outlook is: [outlook][ODBC excel
driver] too many fields defined. can anyone help?
thanks

wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Example only.............

You have header names in A1:G1

You have individual names, addresses etc. in single rows from A2:G50

Select A1:G50 and InsertNameDefine.

Give it a name and OK then save the workbook.

Now open Outlook and try the import.

Note: if the worksheet with the data is first in line in your workbook you
don't need the defined name.

Gord

wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks so much, I must have been making a tiny error, but will in future
follow your steps exactly- een written them to a card to ensure I don't keep
asking the same question, thanks

wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good luck Pam

Now all you have to do is figure the mapping in Outlook<g

Gord

wrote:

I am putting a 3,000 list together, and it will have email addresses as well
as postal. Is there a way I can export the list - or format it - so that it
doesnt have to be re-typed for Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good to hear.

Glad to help.