Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Height question

Hi I have a few questions about cell size in excel.

Lets say I have a brand new excel sheet.
In cell B1 - I type a copy of an email (over 300 characters)

Sometimes the height of the cell will get bigger.
So the row height goes from standard (12.75) to a lot bigger (114.75)

But other times, the cell heigh stays the same, even though the amount
of characters in the cell is alot.

Why does it sometimes change, and sometimes not? (assuming its the
same amount of data in both situations)

Also, is there a way to set up the spreadsheet file, so that it does
NOT change?
I have a file that I will be putting the titles of books in Column A
and the description in Column B, but I dont want the heigh to change.
It makes it harder to browse/scroll when the cell height it too large.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It depends on the setting of FormatCellsAlignment tabWrap text

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

wrote in message ups.com...
| Hi I have a few questions about cell size in excel.
|
| Lets say I have a brand new excel sheet.
| In cell B1 - I type a copy of an email (over 300 characters)
|
| Sometimes the height of the cell will get bigger.
| So the row height goes from standard (12.75) to a lot bigger (114.75)
|
| But other times, the cell heigh stays the same, even though the amount
| of characters in the cell is alot.
|
| Why does it sometimes change, and sometimes not? (assuming its the
| same amount of data in both situations)
|
| Also, is there a way to set up the spreadsheet file, so that it does
| NOT change?
| I have a file that I will be putting the titles of books in Column A
| and the description in Column B, but I dont want the heigh to change.
| It makes it harder to browse/scroll when the cell height it too large.
|
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 5, 11:43 am, "Niek Otten" wrote:
It depends on the setting of FormatCellsAlignment tabWrap text

Cool, that solved it.
I was confused because somehow certain cells (B1, B2) had the
alignment off and the others had it on, so I wasnt sure why some would
wrap and some wouldnt.

Now, one other thing.
When you take off the "Wrap" you can see the cell contents seem to
over lap the cell in the next column (C1) UNLESS you have something
type in C1.

Is there a way to stop the overlap?
I sometimes put a space in the next column, but I was wondering if
there is a setting for that.

Thanks