Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default maths +"standard form"

How can I get excel to return a calculation in standard form?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by "standard form"?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"deetee" wrote in message ...
| How can I get excel to return a calculation in standard form?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is your conception of "standard form"?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:14:01 -0800, deetee
wrote:

How can I get excel to return a calculation in standard form?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I will work on the assumption that by "standard form" you mean a number in
the from 4567 (as I recall standard form is 4567; expanded form is 4×10^3 +
5×10^2 + 6×10 + 7)

So I will further conclude that you are getting scientific notation ( 4.567
×10^3) when you do not want it.

Solution: select the cell(s), use Format | Format Cells| specify Numbers and
set the number decimals as needed (zero for integers).

Caveat: Excel uses the IEEE method of storing numbers so you are limited to
15 digits of precision.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"deetee" wrote in message
How can I get excel to return a calculation in standard form?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So I will further conclude that you are getting scientific notation
(4.567×10^3) when you do not want it.

Solution: select the cell(s), use Format | Format Cells| specify Numbers
and set the number decimals as needed (zero for integers).

The answer to this one could also possibly be to just widen the column.

Rick