Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Default read contents of col 1 and extract similar strings

column 1 consists of words seperated by backslashes. (A .GED file) There are
instances of the first word being "name" ie name/robert/smith but they
are not evenly spaced ie c1,c4,c7,c10. I can read the first instance with
=VLOOKUP("name",A1:A50,1,) or =INDEX(A1:B50, MATCH("name",A1:A50,),2) how can
I read further instances of the word "name" appearing so that I can put the
info in a new column. ie

score/seven
name/alan/jones
name/alan/jones
name/robert/smith
time/late
age/old/wise
name/robert/smith

or even better just put Jones and Smith in the new columns?

--
Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Thanks, that solves the problem of splitting the line of data, and so easy.
Is there any way of selecting the relevent lines from all the info in the
column?
--
Thanks Bob

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

See response to one of your other posts on this subject.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:11:02 -0800, Bob wrote:

column 1 consists of words seperated by backslashes. (A .GED file) There are
instances of the first word being "name" ie name/robert/smith but they
are not evenly spaced ie c1,c4,c7,c10. I can read the first instance with
=VLOOKUP("name",A1:A50,1,) or =INDEX(A1:B50, MATCH("name",A1:A50,),2) how can
I read further instances of the word "name" appearing so that I can put the
info in a new column. ie

score/seven
name/alan/jones
name/alan/jones
name/robert/smith
time/late
age/old/wise
name/robert/smith

or even better just put Jones and Smith in the new columns?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably, but what criteria(on) would determine the relevancy of the lines?

Gord

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:13:01 -0800, Bob wrote:

Thanks, that solves the problem of splitting the line of data, and so easy.
Is there any way of selecting the relevent lines from all the info in the
column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

The list is a .GED File from a family tree program. a small portion of it
looks like this
@220744942@ INDI
NAME Harry /Havenhand/
SEX M
BIRT
DATE ABT 1855
PLAC Unknown
OCCU
PLAC Miner
NOTE details see daughter.
RFN 220744942
FAMS @78@
@220744944@ INDI
NAME /(Mother)/
SEX F
RFN 220744944

There are two instances of NAME in the above section, the whole file
hundreds of rows long and has many instances and I want to seperate the line
that starts with NAME (or SEX or in one case the line after the one that
starts with BIRT, as in date of birth) and make a new list with it. The
ultimate goal is to be able to make a sheet that will give me lists of
information about people in the .GED file. You have shown me how I can split
the line once I extract it but how can I put the first instance in line one
and then look for the second instance for line two, third instance in line
three etc?
--
Thanks Bob