Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default read contents of col 1 and extract similar strings

See response to one of your other posts on this subject.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:11:02 -0800, Bob wrote:

column 1 consists of words seperated by backslashes. (A .GED file) There are
instances of the first word being "name" ie name/robert/smith but they
are not evenly spaced ie c1,c4,c7,c10. I can read the first instance with
=VLOOKUP("name",A1:A50,1,) or =INDEX(A1:B50, MATCH("name",A1:A50,),2) how can
I read further instances of the word "name" appearing so that I can put the
info in a new column. ie

score/seven
name/alan/jones
name/alan/jones
name/robert/smith
time/late
age/old/wise
name/robert/smith

or even better just put Jones and Smith in the new columns?