Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I'm loosing Excel Documents

For all practical purposes I never loose a Word document while I am working
on it - get interrupted - close Notebook, etc. Word always rescues the work
some way or another.

Not so with Excel - If I close the Notebook without remembering that I am in
the middle of a project that has not been saved yet - it disappears without a
trace.

What am I missing? I know that 'Save your work regularly!!!' would be the
common sense advice - but I thought we had moved all beyond that? Word
certainly has ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In earlier versions of Excel there was an Autosave add-in (part of the
ATP pack) which would allow you to save at pre-set intervals. I think
it was changed for XL2002 (according to comments in the newsgroups),
and I'm not sure what the current situation is. It wasn't very good,
though, and Word is much better at recovering possibly-lost files.

Pete

On Nov 1, 10:11 pm, Stormingerman
wrote:
For all practical purposes I never loose a Word document while I am working
on it - get interrupted - close Notebook, etc. Word always rescues the work
some way or another.

Not so with Excel - If I close the Notebook without remembering that I am in
the middle of a project that has not been saved yet - it disappears without a
trace.

What am I missing? I know that 'Save your work regularly!!!' would be the
common sense advice - but I thought we had moved all beyond that? Word
certainly has ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pete,

Thanks for getting back! Though I am flabbergasted by the answer. Excel is
one of the most powerful - bordering on bloody Magic - software ever written.
It's what - 15 years old? And they can not come up with and auto-save
feature?

Just wondering: Are they aware of Word? It's made by Microsoft, Co real near
them in Redmond, WA. What if somewhat suggested they go over there for a
friendly chat? Think they would be offended?

Anyway - thanks for taking the time!

wrote:
For all practical purposes I never loose a Word document while I am working
on it - get interrupted - close Notebook, etc. Word always rescues the work
some way or another.

Not so with Excel - If I close the Notebook without remembering that I am in
the middle of a project that has not been saved yet - it disappears without a
trace.

What am I missing? I know that 'Save your work regularly!!!' would be the
common sense advice - but I thought we had moved all beyond that? Word
certainly has ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome.

Pete

wrote:
For all practical purposes I never loose a Word document while I am working
on it - get interrupted - close Notebook, etc. Word always rescues the work
some way or another.

Not so with Excel - If I close the Notebook without remembering that I am in
the middle of a project that has not been saved yet - it disappears without a
trace.

What am I missing? I know that 'Save your work regularly!!!' would be the
common sense advice - but I thought we had moved all beyond that? Word
certainly has ...- Hide quoted text -