Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HELP!!! Please - Weird and inconsistent errors and crashes.

Also include the Click events of the controls too. I don't believe Excel
sees much of a different between Change and Click even though they seem like
they should be handled differently. I actually think this might be an Excel
bug depending on the configuration.

--
Tim Zych
SF, CA

"Tim Zych" <tzych@NOSp@mE@RTHLINKDOTNET wrote in message news:...
Maybe. The reason I ask is because something might be triggering
recursion, where a change in a cell triggers calculation and/or the
control's change event, which triggers calculation, which triggers the
change event, etc. If you remove all bound data instances in all of the
controls, perhaps even disable the events associated with them, you can
see if the problem is related to that, or at least rule it out.

Backing up a bit more, as an easy first step, turn calculation to Manual
and try to replicate the problem. (Calc to Manual, save workbook, close,
open, etc).

--
Tim Zych
SF, CA

"Trefor" wrote in message
bound data? If you mean have I used RowSource and ControlSource to link
the
userform fields to the cells on the sheet, yes. Is this a problem?

--
Trefor

"Tim Zych" wrote:

Do you have bound data, say to comboboxes or listboxes, using RowSource
and/or ControlSource?

--
Tim Zych
SF, CA

"Trefor" wrote in message
Tim,

Thanks for your reply, but that's my point it doesn't crash if you
step
through! AND you only get the other errors when you are trying to
save.

--
Trefor

"Tim Zych" wrote:

Step through the macro and find the point that immediately precedes
the
crash. Hopefully you can reliably reproduce the error and work around
the
bug.

--
HTH

Tim Zych
SF, CA

"Trefor" wrote in message
I have been jointly developing a form with a college and she started
getting
"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to
close.
We
are
sorry for the inconvenience." In other words it crashed with no
errors
or
indication of what the problem might be.

If you disable macro's it comes up fine. I then stopped the
Auto_Open
sub
running by simply making the first line an Exit Sub, saved it,
re-ran
the
Auto_Open sub routine from VBE and it works fine. Save the file and
re-run
it
works fine. Re-start, exit without saving and it crashes again on
re-start. I
also get intermittent "Automation Error" normally when trying to
save
the
file. The other error I get is "Not enough system resources to
display
completely". I have tried deleting some of the form content and
some of
the
code and you think you have fixed it, you save it, re-start it and
it
works
fine. Then you make a change, which could be as simple a typing a
character
into a cell, save it, exit re-start it and it crashes again.

In researching this error I have read comments about running out of
memory
and my college only has 512MB, but I have 2GB. I also found a note
about
zooming to 100%, and this appeared to work i.e. changing two sheets
from
80%
to 100%. Then made a simple change (cell update) and I am back to
where
started.

There are only 250 lines of very basic code, but there are a lot of
userform
details so it is not easy for me to paste here. Any ideas?

--
Trefor