Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to create a Glossary into Excel spreadsheet?

I have a Description list in a Worksheet begining with one letter "A,B,C...",
I need a glossary in the top of the worksheet with the option that can
capture the letter selected from the Glossary, I mean if I select the letter
"M" I will see all the description starting with the letter "M". I hope do
you understand me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you saying that you want to enter a single letter into a single cell at
the top of the sheet, and when you do that you want the sheet to
automatically scroll to place the first description that starts with that
letter at the top of the sheet? Otto
"Outlook user" wrote in message
I have a Description list in a Worksheet begining with one letter
"A,B,C...",
I need a glossary in the top of the worksheet with the option that can
capture the letter selected from the Glossary, I mean if I select the
letter
"M" I will see all the description starting with the letter "M". I hope do
you understand me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

check out hyperlinks
dependnign on what you want, you may need VB code

"Outlook user" wrote:

I have a Description list in a Worksheet begining with one letter "A,B,C...",
I need a glossary in the top of the worksheet with the option that can
capture the letter selected from the Glossary, I mean if I select the letter
"M" I will see all the description starting with the letter "M". I hope do
you understand me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I made this one but is so late, do you have something easier?

Creating an Excel Worksheet Glossary

Here you have the Glossary list and the Description list into the worksheet
Select one letter from the Glossary list.
Right click button and select Hyperlink option.
A pop up window appears go to column called €śLink to€ť and select €śPlace in
this document€ť and verify the following text box:
Text to display: Here you will see the letter selected from your Glossary
list on worksheet.
Type the cell reference: A1 or the cell where is your Description list.
Or Select a place in this document: Select your Worksheet name.
Press Ok
Here you came back to the letter selected from the Glossary list and then
press right click button and a new option called Name a range appears, select
the option. A pop up window appears called New Name Confirm following text
box:
Name: The letter selected from the Glossary list is the same.
Scope: Select your Worksheet name.
Refers to: Press the button on the end of text box. A pop up window
appears, and then press the button on the end of window, select the cell that
match with your letter and press the button on the end of window again, then
press Ok.
Select the letter from the Glossary list and press right click button and
select Hyperlink option.
A pop up window appears, then go to text box called Or Select a place in
this document: go to Defined Names and choose the letter and press double
click.
Restrictions: The Name and range from text box called Or Select a place in
this document cannot be edited.

*************

"Outlook user" wrote:

I have a Description list in a Worksheet begining with one letter "A,B,C...",
I need a glossary in the top of the worksheet with the option that can
capture the letter selected from the Glossary, I mean if I select the letter
"M" I will see all the description starting with the letter "M". I hope do
you understand me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I replied to your post a couple daya ago and suggested using
DataFilterAutofilterCustomBegins with..........enter a letter.

Did you try that and were the results not what you needed?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:50:03 -0700, Outlook user
wrote:

I made this one but is so late, do you have something easier?

Creating an Excel Worksheet Glossary

Here you have the Glossary list and the Description list into the worksheet
Select one letter from the Glossary list.
Right click button and select Hyperlink option.
A pop up window appears go to column called “Link to” and select “Place in
this document” and verify the following text box: