Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how can I add time that I entered in only minutes and seconds

I have a series of times that are 11 minutes and less and want to add them
but cannot figure out how. I found the format [mm]:ss but don't know how to
use it
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just use SUM as with any number.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"greg" wrote in message
I have a series of times that are 11 minutes and less and want to add them
but cannot figure out how. I found the format [mm]:ss but don't know how
use it

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the SUM function and format the cell as [mm]:ss.

=SUM(A1:A10)

Then format the formula cell as [mm]:ss

The [ ] keep the minutes from rolling over into hours.

Without the [ ] :

61 minutes 10 secnds would display as:

01:10

With the [ ] it would display as:

61:10

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"greg" wrote in message
I have a series of times that are 11 minutes and less and want to add them
but cannot figure out how. I found the format [mm]:ss but don't know how
use it

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One problem is that if you try to enter times in minutes and seconds, Excel
will tend to treat it as hours and minutes.

If you type in 12:34, Excel will read it as 12:34:00
To get 0:12:34, you need to type either 0:12:34 or 12:34.0

If you've already got all your times in the system and they are hours and
minutes, you can turn them to minutes and seconds by putting 60 into a spare
cell, select and copy, then select your range of times, Edit/ Paste special,
divide.
--
David Biddulph