Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to change the default of 30 days change history

It's fairly well-known that a good way to reduce the size of an Excel
spreadsheet is to use the Tools / Share Workbook command to share it, reduce
or eliminate the number of days change history from 30, and then un-share it.

My problem is: 30 days seems to be a default -- even if you save the
workbook with one day and re-open it, it reverts back to 30. I suppose I
could write an Auto_New routine in Book.xlt that sets KeepChangeHistory or
ChangeHistoryDuration, or calls PurgeChangeHistoryNow, but is there a better
way, e.g., by (dare I say it?) modifying the registry?

--
* Please click Yes if this was helpful *
Andy Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Exactly -- what I want is, no change history, ever.

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

Andy Smith wrote:

It's fairly well-known that a good way to reduce the size of an Excel
spreadsheet is to use the Tools / Share Workbook command to share it, reduce
or eliminate the number of days change history from 30, and then un-share it.

My problem is: 30 days seems to be a default -- even if you save the
workbook with one day and re-open it, it reverts back to 30. I suppose I
could write an Auto_New routine in Book.xlt that sets KeepChangeHistory or
ChangeHistoryDuration, or calls PurgeChangeHistoryNow, but is there a better
way, e.g., by (dare I say it?) modifying the registry?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

then select the "Dont't keep change history" button

Andy Smith wrote:

Exactly -- what I want is, no change history, ever.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I understand that, but as you point out, when I unshare it, it's back to 30
days again. I want all past, present and future spreadsheets to have no
change history, shared or not.

--
Andy Smith
Senior Systems Analyst

Andy Smith wrote:

Exactly -- what I want is, no change history, ever.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then you will need to record a macro to do that.

Andy Smith wrote:

I understand that, but as you point out, when I unshare it, it's back to 30
days again. I want all past, present and future spreadsheets to have no
change history, shared or not.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An unshared workbook has no change history so no need to change anything.