Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel formula and numbering

Dear all,

I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some works
and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say i use
number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38 excel
takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i get this
answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's separator
it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct my
report?

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

Olivier
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Olivier,

Looks like your thousands separator is set to a dot. Look both in the Windows settings AND in
ToolsOptionsInternationalThousands separator/Use system separators

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Olivier" wrote in message ...
| Dear all,
|
| I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some works
| and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say i use
| number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38 excel
| takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i get this
| answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's separator
| it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct my
| report?
|
| Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.
|
| Olivier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Otten,

Thank you for your reply. I checked in the tooloptions........and i found
that use system separator was checked thus thousand and decimal separators
were not set to a dot. I still have the same problem though. How can one
check it in windows settings as you told me so?

Thanks.

"Olivier" wrote in message ...
| Dear all,
|
| I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some works
| and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say i use
| number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38 excel
| takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i get this
| answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's separator
| it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct my
| report?
|
| Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.
|
| Olivier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Otten,

Thank you for your reply. I tried the tools,options....link,and i found the
Use system separators checked thus meaning that the thousands and decimal
separator were not set to dot. I still get the same problem though. How would
one look in the windows settings as you suggested?

Thanks.

"Olivier" wrote in message ...
| Dear all,
|
| I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some works
| and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say i use
| number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38 excel
| takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i get this
| answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's separator
| it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct my
| report?
|
| Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.
|
| Olivier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

StartControl PanelDate, Time, Language and regional optionsChange the format of numbers, dates, and timesRegional
OptionsCustomizeDigit grouping symbol

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Olivier" wrote in message ...
| Dear Otten,
|
| Thank you for your reply. I tried the tools,options....link,and i found the
| Use system separators checked thus meaning that the thousands and decimal
| separator were not set to dot. I still get the same problem though. How would
| one look in the windows settings as you suggested?
|
| Thanks.
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Hi Olivier,
|
| Looks like your thousands separator is set to a dot. Look both in the Windows settings AND in
| ToolsOptionsInternationalThousands separator/Use system separators
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Olivier" wrote in message ...
| | Dear all,
| |
| | I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some works
| | and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say i use
| | number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38 excel
| | takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i get this
| | answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's separator
| | it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct my
| | report?
| |
| | Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.
| |
| | Olivier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Start menu, Control Panel, Regional Options, ... format of numbers ...
--
David Biddulph

"Olivier" wrote in message
| Dear all,
|
| I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some
works
| and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say
i use
| number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38
excel
| takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i
get this
| answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's
separator
| it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct
my
| report?
|
| Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.
|
| Olivier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Niek,

Thank you for your support. It did work pretty well, i don't know how i can
thank you. God bless you and thanks again.

Regards

Olivier

"Olivier" wrote in message ...
| Dear Otten,
|
| Thank you for your reply. I tried the tools,options....link,and i found the
| Use system separators checked thus meaning that the thousands and decimal
| separator were not set to dot. I still get the same problem though. How would
| one look in the windows settings as you suggested?
|
| Thanks.
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Hi Olivier,
|
| Looks like your thousands separator is set to a dot. Look both in the Windows settings AND in
| ToolsOptionsInternationalThousands separator/Use system separators
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Olivier" wrote in message ...
| | Dear all,
| |
| | I have been trying to add number in excel 2003 with decimals, but some works
| | and others not. In format cells i put the decimal places to 3. Lets say i use
| | number 554.965 and excel takes it as 554965, but a number such as 38 excel
| | takes it as 38 normally,when I add both expecting to have 592.965, i get this
| | answer 555003.000, again when I make the numbers to use the 1000's separator
| | it gives me something like this 555003.0.000. Would you help me correct my
| | report?
| |