Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PV PV is offline

Default Excel

We have a number of excel workbooks on a shared network drive. Normally if
you open a workbook and another user is already working in it/viewing it, you
receive a file in use message with read only/notify when available etc
options. However on a recently created workbook this notification doesn't
appear - how can I fix this so that it does?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The workbook has been designated as a shared workbook. Click TOOLS in the
menu and select SHARE WORKBOOK. On the EDITING tab, remove the check mark
from the ALLOW CHANGES BY MORE THAN ONE USER AT THE SAME TIME check box and
it will be converted back to a single user workbook.
--
Kevin Backmann

"PV" wrote:

We have a number of excel workbooks on a shared network drive. Normally if
you open a workbook and another user is already working in it/viewing it, you
receive a file in use message with read only/notify when available etc
options. However on a recently created workbook this notification doesn't
appear - how can I fix this so that it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also have the same problem, but this is NOT on a shared file.

I do normally receive the message that the file is in use (and would I like
to notify the user or open read-only), however very occasionally this message
does not appear (when there is another user in the file with write
permissions), at end of my work on attempting to save it says that there is
another user in the file and that it has chnaged since I last opened and do I
want to overwrite these changes. If you click yes then it nearly always
corrupts the workbook the next time it is open. Even if you click no/cancel
if the original user then saves (as he is unwittingly aware that someone esle
has been in the workbook) then the file will corrupt the next time it is
opened.

Are there any explanations as to why a file may open accross a network and
not notify that someone is in the workbook already, and on top of that allow
to you to go into the file with write permissions at the same time despite
not being a shared workbook? This probably only happens once every 100 or so
times a workbook is opened but is extremely frustrating when it then causes a
corrupted file.

Any Ideas??