Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default filename spaces???

Excel 2003 on Win XP all updates.
Something has changed!
With Excel NOT running, if I doubleclick an Excel filename containing spaces
to open it, I get an error message saying Excel can't find the file.
This used not to be the case.
If I remove the spaces and do the same, the file opens with no problem
If I open Excel first then double click, the file opens with no problem.
What needs resetting??
--
donwb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

donbowyer wrote:

Excel 2003 on Win XP all updates.
Something has changed!
With Excel NOT running, if I doubleclick an Excel filename containing spaces
to open it, I get an error message saying Excel can't find the file.
This used not to be the case.
If I remove the spaces and do the same, the file opens with no problem
If I open Excel first then double click, the file opens with no problem.
What needs resetting??
--
donwb

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tools | Options [General] tab
See if the box next to "Ignore other applications" is checked. If it is,
clear the box and try again.

"donbowyer" wrote:

Excel 2003 on Win XP all updates.
Something has changed!
With Excel NOT running, if I doubleclick an Excel filename containing spaces
to open it, I get an error message saying Excel can't find the file.
This used not to be the case.
If I remove the spaces and do the same, the file opens with no problem
If I open Excel first then double click, the file opens with no problem.
What needs resetting??
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you ran the regserver command did Windows Installer come up and do its
thing?

Or did you get an error message?

Maybe have a look at these instructions...................

Go to StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile Types

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

You must have the double quotes and the <space/e prevents a new book from
opening.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:26:00 -0700, donbowyer
wrote:

Thank you for the 2 replies.
Have done all suggestions but nothong has changed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.
I have:-

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1

When I ran the unregserver, followed by the regserver command, the Windows
Installer came up and did its thing OK.

In StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.
I now have:-

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

ie without the <space%1
Under these conditions, doubleclicking an *.xls file name, even without
spaces, does NOT open the file - only Excel, whereas before it did.
If I add <space%1 after the /e, unspaced filenames now open but still not
ones with spaces.

--
donwb

wrote:

Thank you for the 2 replies.
Have done all suggestions but nothong has changed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about the rest of the dialog at

StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Looks like that?

Gord

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:50:02 -0700, donbowyer
wrote:

In StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.
I have:-

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1

When I ran the unregserver, followed by the regserver command, the Windows
Installer came up and did its thing OK.

In StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.
I now have:-

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

ie without the <space%1
Under these conditions, doubleclicking an *.xls file name, even without
spaces, does NOT open the file - only Excel, whereas before it did.
If I add <space%1 after the /e, unspaced filenames now open but still not
ones with spaces.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord
Yes. Exactly like that and in DDE application Not running box I have
[rem see command line]
--
donwb

wrote:

In StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.
I have:-

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1

When I ran the unregserver, followed by the regserver command, the Windows
Installer came up and did its thing OK.

In StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile TypesAdvancedOpenEdit.
I now have:-

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

ie without the <space%1
Under these conditions, doubleclicking an *.xls file name, even without
spaces, does NOT open the file - only Excel, whereas before it did.
If I add <space%1 after the /e, unspaced filenames now open but still not
ones with spaces.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried HelpDetect and Repair?

I'm running out of ideas.

Gord

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:59:00 -0700, donbowyer
wrote:

Hi Gord
Yes. Exactly like that and in DDE application Not running box I have
[rem see command line]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord

1. I ran HelpDetect and Repair again.
2, Selecting File Types /XLS/Advanced/Open/Edit is all as you suggested it
should be.
3. Application used to perform action ends with <space/e WITHOUT %1.
4. The result of double clicking an XLS filename with spaces only opens Excel.
Another double click then opens the file.
5. Removing the spaces opens both Excel and the file.
6. Returning immediately to File Types /XLS/Advanced/Open/Edit I now see a
<space%1 after the space/e. I didn't put it there.
7. Double clicking a filename with spaces now opens Excel and produces the
previously reported Cannot Find error message.
8. If I then run Run "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe"
/unregserver.
and repeat 7, the result is the same
9. If I then run Run "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe"
/regserver,
Windows Installer operates successfully.
10. Repeating 7 produces the same result as 4, and 5.
11. However File Types /XLS/Advanced/Open/Edit/ Application used to perform
action ends with <space/e WITHOUT %1.
12. So in conclusion WITHOUT %1, the error messages don't appear, but two
double clicks are required to open a filename with spaces.
With the %1, the error message appears on the first double click of a
filename with spaces.

I just get the feeling something, somewhere else, has changed.

--
donwb

wrote:

Hi Gord
Yes. Exactly like that and in DDE application Not running box I have
[rem see command line]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default It worked!

Great work! Looked at quite a few sites that listed going into folder options selecting the excel worksheet and editing the open command. That does not work. This worked perfectly.

Thanks much.

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hi Gord1. I ran HelpDetect and Repair again.

I fixed my problem by doing following steps:

1. Start/Run.../regedit
2. Go into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command
3. Change the valus of default key, remove <space%1 from end of it.

See change:
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1
to:
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e

Then, you should be able to open XLS file which has space in path/filename now.

Hope this help.

PS, your system may not related to "Excel.Sheet.8", try them one by one, you will find out one which work for you.

donbowyer wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

On Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:01 PM Gord Dibben wrote:

Have you tried HelpDetect and Repair?

I am running out of ideas.

Gord

On Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:29 AM donbowye wrote:

I did when I first had the problem, but I will try it again.
--
donwb