Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Case Sensitive Compare, Lookup, etc????

I'm a current Excel 2003 user and been frustrated with its in ability to do
comparisons on Ascii values correctly. I have come up with different hoop
jumping techniques but I'm getting old and tired.

Can anyone tell me if this issue has been resolved in 2007. I would upgrade
for that reason alone!

Example:

I need to discern the difference between 00Q3000000FHYdGEAX and
00Q3000000FHYDGEAX (upper and lower case "d" is the difference) in a
Vlookkup or compare, etc.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Won't the Exact function do it for you?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"GSkerm"
wrote in message
I'm a current Excel 2003 user and been frustrated with its in ability to do
comparisons on Ascii values correctly. I have come up with different hoop
jumping techniques but I'm getting old and tired.
Can anyone tell me if this issue has been resolved in 2007. I would upgrade
for that reason alone!
Example:

I need to discern the difference between 00Q3000000FHYdGEAX and
00Q3000000FHYDGEAX (upper and lower case "d" is the difference) in a
Vlookkup or compare, etc.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is one of the work arounds if I need to do a simple compare, but it
can't be used (or should I say I don't know how to use it) with a VLOOKUP or
if I use it in a pivot table or if I do a find.

wrote in message
I'm a current Excel 2003 user and been frustrated with its in ability to do
comparisons on Ascii values correctly. I have come up with different hoop
jumping techniques but I'm getting old and tired.
Can anyone tell me if this issue has been resolved in 2007. I would upgrade
for that reason alone!
Example:

I need to discern the difference between 00Q3000000FHYdGEAX and
00Q3000000FHYDGEAX (upper and lower case "d" is the difference) in a
Vlookkup or compare, etc.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A Dictionary object will discern between upper/lower case.
However that requires VBA or VBS programming code.
I am not aware of any changes in the Vlookup and Match functions in xl2007.
--

wrote in message
This is one of the work arounds if I need to do a simple compare, but it
can't be used (or should I say I don't know how to use it) with a VLOOKUP or
if I use it in a pivot table or if I do a find.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also...
"Find" has a match case option.
Jim Cone

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

if your data is in A1:B6 and E1 contains the value to look up, try:
=INDEX(B1:B6,MATCH(TRUE,EXACT(A1:A6,E1),0))

array entered with Cntrl+Shift+Enter. If done properly, XL will put braces
{ } around the formula