Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Very slow graphs in Excel 2007

How come the updating of graphs is runing so much slower in Excel 2007?

I am having a xy-graph with two data series each containing approx. 17,000
values. When I change the data it takes several seconds to update the graph
where I am used to instant updates.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is a known issue in Excel 2007. It may be partially addressed by
applying a hotfix described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article, but it
will not approach the performance you were accustomed to in Excel 2003:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Jesperfect" wrote in message
How come the updating of graphs is runing so much slower in Excel 2007?

I am having a xy-graph with two data series each containing approx. 17,000
values. When I change the data it takes several seconds to update the
graph
where I am used to instant updates.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To put numbers to what Jon has said: in pre-hotfix copy of Excel 2007 I had
one package take 10 to 11 times as long to generate some charts as it took
under 2003 (running on a slower machine, even). With the Hotfix applied, the
improvement was such that it only took about 8 times as long in 2007 as in
2003.

Actually, it may have been worse than that, depending on how you look at
it. The application had to read in almost 500,000 data points from a text
file and put them into worksheets. That took about 1m35s on both machines.
In Excel 2003 at that point, the generation of 50+ graphs from the data was
virtually instantaneous. But in 2007, the generation of the same graphs
initially took 10 to 11 minutes (pre Hotfix), and about 8 minutes (after
hotfix applied).

"Jesperfect" wrote:

How come the updating of graphs is runing so much slower in Excel 2007?

I am having a xy-graph with two data series each containing approx. 17,000
values. When I change the data it takes several seconds to update the graph
where I am used to instant updates.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And thank you, Jon for your quick response.
I really hope it will get better in the future, because the situation now is
rather annoying.

Furthermore I have noticed that Excel often seems to freeze if I try to
select one of my series in a graph with many values, even if it is just
because I want to read the values, and I have to close Excel down and restart
all over again....

There is really room for improvement.