Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FC FC is offline

Default Counting D,E,N

I got a formula to count shifts worked in daytime=D, evening=E and for night
shift=N.( D,E,N are in each cell per day of the week per worker)
My formula is :
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"D""E""N"})).
Now I have workers doing double shift, that is either DE, EN or ND.
How can I adjust this formula or use another one ( welcome all sugestions)
in order to count D,E,N as 1 item and DE,EN,ND as 2 items or 2 shifts ?
In excel languaje :
A B C D E

D E N
1 D E D N N 2 1 2

2 D DE DE DE EN 4 4 1

Don't need, don't want macros. Thanks a lot in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

To count the D, E, and N shifts in A1:E1:
F1: =SUM(COUNTIF($A1:$E1,"*"&{"D","E","N"}&"*"))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"FC" wrote in message ...
I got a formula to count shifts worked in daytime=D, evening=E and for night
shift=N.( D,E,N are in each cell per day of the week per worker)
My formula is :
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"D""E""N"})).
Now I have workers doing double shift, that is either DE, EN or ND.
How can I adjust this formula or use another one ( welcome all sugestions)
in order to count D,E,N as 1 item and DE,EN,ND as 2 items or 2 shifts ?
In excel languaje :
A B C D E

D E N
1 D E D N N 2 1 2

2 D DE DE DE EN 4 4 1

Don't need, don't want macros. Thanks a lot in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

G1:H1 = D, E, N

Enter this formula in G2 then copy across to H2 then down as needed:

=COUNTIF($A2:$E2,"*"&G$1&"*")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"FC" wrote in message
I got a formula to count shifts worked in daytime=D, evening=E and for
night
shift=N.( D,E,N are in each cell per day of the week per worker)
My formula is :
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"D""E""N"})).
Now I have workers doing double shift, that is either DE, EN or ND.
How can I adjust this formula or use another one ( welcome all sugestions)
in order to count D,E,N as 1 item and DE,EN,ND as 2 items or 2 shifts ?
In excel languaje :
A B C D E

D E N
1 D E D N N 2 1 2

2 D DE DE DE EN 4 4 1

Don't need, don't want macros. Thanks a lot in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FC FC is offline

Yes it is! Thanks a lot Ron and keep the good work, specially on weekends
that everyone is absent from the discussion group. Thanks again.

"FC" wrote in message ...
I got a formula to count shifts worked in daytime=D, evening=E and for night
shift=N.( D,E,N are in each cell per day of the week per worker)
My formula is :
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"D""E""N"})).
Now I have workers doing double shift, that is either DE, EN or ND.
How can I adjust this formula or use another one ( welcome all sugestions)
in order to count D,E,N as 1 item and DE,EN,ND as 2 items or 2 shifts ?
In excel languaje :
A B C D E

D E N
1 D E D N N 2 1 2

2 D DE DE DE EN 4 4 1

Don't need, don't want macros. Thanks a lot in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Typo...

G1:H1 = D, E, N

Should be:

G1:I1 = D, E, N

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"FC" wrote in message
I got a formula to count shifts worked in daytime=D, evening=E and for
night
shift=N.( D,E,N are in each cell per day of the week per worker)
My formula is :
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"D""E""N"})).
Now I have workers doing double shift, that is either DE, EN or ND.
How can I adjust this formula or use another one ( welcome all
sugestions)
in order to count D,E,N as 1 item and DE,EN,ND as 2 items or 2 shifts ?
In excel languaje :
A B C D E

D E N
1 D E D N N 2 1 2

2 D DE DE DE EN 4 4 1

Don't need, don't want macros. Thanks a lot in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm so glad I could help......Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)