Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ben Ben is offline

Default Hide data in specific rows/colums/cells in Excel 2003

Hi,

I want to hide the data (content) in a specific column in a worksheet,
without hideing the whole column, with a password so that only
authorized users can view its data. I know that Excel allows to protect
these elements from editing, deleting etc using passwords, but that's not what
I need. I need to hide the data in those elements so that users wont be able
to view them, unless they enter the correct password.
Does Excel allow me to do this?

Thanks,
Ben
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FC FC is offline

Cant'n hide just one cell.
Your simple solution will be text coloring wanted cell with same background
color and then protecting those cells.

"Ben" wrote:

Hi,

I want to hide the data (content) in a specific column in a worksheet,
without hideing the whole column, with a password so that only
authorized users can view its data. I know that Excel allows to protect
these elements from editing, deleting etc using passwords, but that's not what
I need. I need to hide the data in those elements so that users wont be able
to view them, unless they enter the correct password.
Does Excel allow me to do this?

Thanks,
Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ben

You can format the cells as Custom ;;; (3 semi-colons) to not see the
contents.

Also format under Protection to "Hidden" so's the formula bar will display
nothing.

Then Protect the sheet.

Note on Excel internal security...................it is very weak and passwords
easily cracked.

General rule is: if you don't want users to see data, don't include that data.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 03:58:00 -0700, Ben wrote:

Hi,

I want to hide the data (content) in a specific column in a worksheet,
without hideing the whole column, with a password so that only
authorized users can view its data. I know that Excel allows to protect
these elements from editing, deleting etc using passwords, but that's not what
I need. I need to hide the data in those elements so that users wont be able
to view them, unless they enter the correct password.
Does Excel allow me to do this?

Thanks,
Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc