Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to import text file into one column

Hi

I'm using Excel 2002 and need to do the following:

I have a text file in Word consisting of words each separated just by a
space. I need to get these words into Excel such that each word fits
into one line within the same column. I've tried import and variety of
fills and cannot do it.

Could someone explain to a novice how to do this?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

When you import, choose "Fixed Width" and remove all the lines, it
should place all the data in one column. Also, I've literally cut and
pasted text from Word into Excel and it ended up in one column.

HTH,
JP

On Oct 19, 5:32 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Hi

I'm using Excel 2002 and need to do the following:

I have a text file in Word consisting of words each separated just by a
space. I need to get these words into Excel such that each word fits
into one line within the same column. I've tried import and variety of
fills and cannot do it.

Could someone explain to a novice how to do this?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried that.

When I copy and paste into Excel (sounded the easiest) the words end up
one word per column on one row. Not good for my purposes.

When I import and choose fixed width, removing the lines is not
practical because these are very long lists of names and there are
hundreds of lines.

Other ways to get individual words one row at a time into one column?

Thanks.

Jeff

On Oct 19, 5:32 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Hi

I'm using Excel 2002 and need to do the following:

I have a text file in Word consisting of words each separated just
by a space. I need to get these words into Excel such that each
word fits into one line within the same column. I've tried import
and variety of fills and cannot do it.

Could someone explain to a novice how to do this?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the Import Wizard, the lines run from top to bottom, if there are
only four spaces in your data then there should only be four lines.

If it's still not working, why not import the data as-is and then
merge the columns afterwards?

i.e. your data is in A1:D15000, click on cell E1 and write =A1&"
"&B1&" "&C1&" "&D1

Fill down this formula and it should place all your data in one
column.

HTH,
JP

On Oct 19, 5:32 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Hi

I'm using Excel 2002 and need to do the following:

I have a text file in Word consisting of words each separated just
by a space. I need to get these words into Excel such that each
word fits into one line within the same column. I've tried import
and variety of fills and cannot do it.

Could someone explain to a novice how to do this?

Thank you.

Jeff- Hide quoted text -