Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking cells from tab to tab

I've been working on this masive workbook and have many linking cells frm tab
to tab.

Then, for no reason (that I know of), the link formula froz.

I entered:
Master!E2 and hit enter. Instead of populating the cell with the number in
the "master" tab under E2, it just kept the formula visable in the cell.

Meaning in the actual cell, without clicking in it, it reads "Master!E2"

Any idea why it's not accepting the formula??

Thanks, Bonnie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds as if the cell has been formatted for TEXT. Select the cell that's
displaying the formula and format the cell with the numeric format of your
choice. Then, with the cell pointer still at the formula cell, press F2 to
activate cell edit and then press enter. The formula should now display the
results and not the actual formula.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Bonnie" wrote:

I've been working on this masive workbook and have many linking cells frm tab
to tab.

Then, for no reason (that I know of), the link formula froz.

I entered:
Master!E2 and hit enter. Instead of populating the cell with the number in
the "master" tab under E2, it just kept the formula visable in the cell.

Meaning in the actual cell, without clicking in it, it reads "Master!E2"

Any idea why it's not accepting the formula??

Thanks, Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some possibilities:

First of all,. I assume you *do* have an = sign in front of your formula ...
right?

Other then that, you may be in "Formula View" mode.
<Tools <Options <View tab,
And *Uncheck* "Formulas" under Window Options.

Also, you might have the cell containing the formula formatted to Text
*before* you entered the link formula.

Click in the cell, hit <Ctrl <Shift < ~ ,
Then <F2, then <Enter.

If you have a large number of cells to fix,
Select them, then:
<Edit <Replace
In Find What, enter
=
In Replace With, enter
=
Click on <Replace All

This gives you working formulas, but the cells are still Text.
While they're all still selected,
<Format <Cells Number tab,
and click on General or Number.
--
HTH,

RD

"Bonnie" wrote in message
I've been working on this masive workbook and have many linking cells frm
tab
to tab.

Then, for no reason (that I know of), the link formula froz.

I entered:
Master!E2 and hit enter. Instead of populating the cell with the number
in
the "master" tab under E2, it just kept the formula visable in the cell.

Meaning in the actual cell, without clicking in it, it reads "Master!E2"

Any idea why it's not accepting the formula??

Thanks, Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Kevin! It was formated for text. I thought it needed to be
because there was going to be text in the field, but because it was a linking
formula, I realize in needs to be in numeric format.

Thanks so much again!!!!