Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extracting abbreviated days, converting to full word

The following type of data are listed in a column of cells:
Mon 1:30 (4:30)
Mon 10 (1)
Thurs 2 (5)

I need to get the day into another cell and converted to a full day name:
Mon = Monday

My simple extration formulas aren't working since the abbreviated days very
from 3-4 character spaces.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One play ..

Assuming source data as posted is in A1 down

Put in B1, array-enter* to confirm the formula:
=INDEX({"Monday";"Tuesday";"Wednesday";"Thursday"; "Friday";"Saturday";"Sunday"},MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER( SEARCH({"Mon";"Tue";"Wed";"Thu";"Fri";"Sat";"Sun"} ,A1)),0))
Copy down as far as required. Col B should return the required results:
Monday, Thursday, etc

*Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
--
Max
Singapore
"Sneilan" wrote:
The following type of data are listed in a column of cells:
Mon 1:30 (4:30)
Mon 10 (1)
Thurs 2 (5)

I need to get the day into another cell and converted to a full day name:
Mon = Monday

My simple extration formulas aren't working since the abbreviated days very
from 3-4 character spaces.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming your data starts in A1 (change to suit), use this...

=TEXT(MATCH(LEFT(A1,2),{"Su","Mo","Tu","We","Th"," Fr","Sa"},0),"dddd")

and copy down as far as necessary.

Rick