Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Custom Format Question

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!
--
If you can read this, thank a Teacher...
If your reading it in english, thank a Veteran!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I will assume the first row is 2 and the "word" is in column F
Use the mouse to select all the rows (do this by dragging over the row
numbers at the far left)
Use Format | Conditional Formatting and specify:
Formula Is: =$F2="word" (the $ is important!) ; then click the Format
button and use either a red font or a red pattern as required
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Telobamipada" wrote in message
Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!
--
If you can read this, thank a Teacher...
If your reading it in english, thank a Veteran!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not Custom format, but you can use conditional formatting.

Select the row (say row 1). Choose Format/Conditional Formatting...

Change the dropdown/inputboxes to read

CF1: Formula is =COUNTIF($A1,"*certainword*")
Format1: <patterns/<red

In article ,
Telobamipada wrote:

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go to Format Conditional formatting...

There you can select the option "Cell Value Is", then "Equal to", and there
you write the text that must be typed in order to turn it red, click the
button "Format" and there select the color you need on the "Patterns" tab

"Telobamipada" wrote:

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!
--
If you can read this, thank a Teacher...
If your reading it in english, thank a Veteran!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Conditional Formatting. Select entire row, then format, conditional
formatting, use Formula is.

Telobamipada wrote:

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful. Bernard's worked great for a
specific word but I used the solution provided by JE since it worked where
the cell 'contains' the word.
Can I make this formula look atb multiple columns? Say for instance check
column
E and if the word is found there fill with red, check column F and if found
there fill with Yellow, Check column G and if found there fill with Green?
--

Telobamipada wrote:

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found that I can check up to 3 columns using the conditional format,
obviously wasn't thinking. My original thought was trying to set a custom
format as opposed to the conditional format. I have seen custom formats which
can set a fill color of a cell based on the value of another cell. Perhaps
there is a way to accomplish this using a custom format which could extend
beyond 3 checks?
--

Telobamipada wrote:

Is it possible for me to custom format an entire row to turn red (Fill) if a
specific cell in that row 'contains' a certain word? Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no custom format to change the background color of a cell based on any
condition.

CF is it...........if you need more than the 3 you can use VBA, Excel 2007 or
Bob Phillips' CFPlus add-in which allows up to 30 conditions.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:08:01 -0700, Telobamipada
wrote:

I found that I can check up to 3 columns using the conditional format,
obviously wasn't thinking. My original thought was trying to set a custom
format as opposed to the conditional format. I have seen custom formats which
can set a fill color of a cell based on the value of another cell. Perhaps
there is a way to accomplish this using a custom format which could extend
beyond 3 checks?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, you haven't. XL doesn't have that capability.

You CAN use Custom Format to change the FONT color based on the numeric
value of the cell, but not the fill color.