Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is there a way to generate usernames and passwords using excel 07

Just curious if there is a way to make usernames and passwords in excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Of course there is - you just need to decide on a set of rules to
generate them. Things to consider, for example, include fixed length
or variable length, case sensitivity, valid characters, mixtures of
characters (eg must contain at least one numeric character).

You might already have allocated these in the past, and so you have a
naming convention already which you would like to code within Excel -
let us know what that is with a few examples.

Pete

On Oct 15, 10:00 pm, Avelmine
wrote:
Just curious if there is a way to make usernames and passwords in excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your question is overly vague. Exactly what sort of user names, and in what
format should they be and is there any "template" that describes what a user
name and password should look like? I mean, at the simplest, you could have

Dim UName As String
Dim PassWord As String

UName = "abc"
PassWord = "xyz"

This satisfies your question as it was written, but I suspect you have
something more in mind. Detail are important.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Avelmine" wrote in message
Just curious if there is a way to make usernames and passwords in excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is there a way to generate usernames and passwords using excel

I'm sorry. To continue I have first names in column B and last names in
Column C. Username in Column D and Passwords in Column E.

I would like to have the usernames made up of the first letter of the first
name and the first 7 letters of the last name. I would then like the
passwords to be the first and last initial followed by a random 6 digit
number. Also I would like the last initial to be uppercase.

"Avelmine" wrote in message
Just curious if there is a way to make usernames and passwords in excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What if the last name is Smith, the whole name? With the first names in A
and the last in B

=LOWER(LEFT(A1))&LOWER(LEFT(B1,7))

if you don't want lower case just remove the 2 LOWER function calls and
appropriate parenthesis

=LOWER(LEFT(A1))&LOWER(LEFT(B1))&TRUNC(RAND()*(100 0000-100000)+100000)

however it's random within 100000 and 999999, if you want it to be possible
to create a number like

000002 then you could use

=LOWER(LEFT(A1))&LOWER(LEFT(B1))&TEXT(TRUNC(RAND() *(1000000-1)+1),"000000")

and it will change for each calculation so I would suggest that you copy
down as long as needed and then copy and paste special as values in place,
same with the user names so they become static and independent of the
formulas

Peo Sjoblom

"Avelmine" wrote in message
Just curious if there is a way to make usernames and passwords in
excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The second term should be:

UPPER(LEFT(B1))

in Peo's formula for passwords.

Pete

"Avelmine" wrote in message
Just curious if there is a way to make usernames and passwords in
excel.- Hide quoted text -