Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to edit the 'Refers to:' box on the Define Name dialogue

If a very large formula is required for a named range, how does one go about
editing it on the Define Name dialogue?

I've been writing the formula in notepad, then pasting the whole thing into
the text box. Every time I try to move the cursor along in the text box with
the arrow keys, Excel thinks I am tying to add data to the formula when all I
really want to do is see the parts of the formula beyond the edge of the text
box. The Define Name panel cannot be sized to allow the whole formula to be
seen.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rich, I used to have this same problem. I found it was easier to use the
End key to go to the end, then use the left arrow to go back to where I
wanted to make changes. Somebody else might have a better insight into
this. James
"Rich" wrote in message
If a very large formula is required for a named range, how does one go
about
editing it on the Define Name dialogue?

I've been writing the formula in notepad, then pasting the whole thing
into
the text box. Every time I try to move the cursor along in the text box
with
the arrow keys, Excel thinks I am tying to add data to the formula when
all I
really want to do is see the parts of the formula beyond the edge of the
text
box. The Define Name panel cannot be sized to allow the whole formula to
be
seen.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rich

It is awkward, you can use the mouse to move to visible portions of the
formula but not beyond.

On a blank sheet, Press F3 to open the name dialog box and choose list -
this will list each range name and formulas and will help you to edit one.

Regards
Peter